Losses

I woke the next morning to voices outside. Lifting my head up slightly, I saw the Fellowship seated around the same table as last night, eating breakfast. I stood up and realized that I was still in my dress. I would change before we left, knowing that I wouldn't be able to travel with a dress on.

I groaned as I got up and pulled my boots on and checked my reflection in the mirror by my bed. My hair was reasonable, so I left as it was.

The Fellowship looked up when I walked out of my room and smiled at me. Smiling back, I sat in the only seat available, which was next to Aragorn and Pippin. "Legolas wanted to save you this seat, but I took it." He told me. I shoved him and then smiled across the table to Legolas. His elf ears probably heard what Aragorn told me, and he smiled and rolled his eyes at Aragorn.

The food was delicious, just like the night before. After our short meal, I returned to my room and changed into my black pants, blue shirt and boots that were now clean. I put my weapons in their place on my body and walked out to where the rest were standing. They were standing by the shore of a river where there were boats waiting for us. Lady Galadriel was standing in front of them, speaking to each of the Fellowship individually. Taking a place next to Legolas, I heard what she was saying. She was giving gifts to each of us. To Sam, she gave an elvish rope that was very strong. To Frodo, she gave a light of their most beloved star, that I didn't hear the name of.

She began to walk my way, and I wondered what she would say to me. "Ryanne," she began in her soft, melodic voice. "You are a warrior of your time. Your place is in this fellowship. To you, I give a dagger of your mother's. She left it here before she passed." She handed me a small dagger. I opened it and the blade was a pure gold color, the handle being the darkest purple. It was beautiful. "Thank you." I whispered, overcome by the beauty of it. I put it in a strap in my boot, knowing I would use it well.

The Lady finished giving to us and directed us to the boats in the water. I climbed in one with Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin. Legolas picked up a paddle and began to follow Aragorn's boat out of Lothlórien. I turned to see the Lady waving to us on the shore. I gave her a small wave and smiled at her. She returned the smile and soon we were out of sight.

I began to think of my mother. Was she a warrior like me? Was my father? If they were, how did they get so easily killed by Wargs? I sighed, knowing that these questions would never get answered. I missed my parents dearly. Even though I never really knew them, they were still missed and loved by me. Another question popped into my mind suddenly. Did my parents use to live here in Lothlórien? Lady Galadriel mentioned my mother leaving her dagger here before she died. What did that mean?

I sighed again, now frustrated with my confusion and lack of information. "What's wrong?" Legolas turned to me. "You keep sighing." I debated telling him what I was really thinking about. "Do you ever want something, that you know you never could have?" I asked him. He seemed surprised at my question, probably wondering what I was talking about. "I guess, sometimes." he answered slowly. "Why?" I looked down at the slow-moving water. "That's how I feel about my parents." Legolas looked at me sadly. He leaned over and quickly kissed me on my forehead. "I'm sorry." he whispered, comforting me.

I smiled sadly up at him. I reached into my boot and pulled out my dagger. It was sharp and looked like it could do some permanent damage. I loved it and decided to use it towards the first Warg I saw.

Putting it back in my boot, I looked up at the scenery. We were passing two giant statues of kings holding their arms outstretched. They were on both side of the wide river. There was amazing detail on each of them, their faces, hair, hands and even clothes. I was surprised, these probably took a very long time to build.