The Encampment

"Grimbold, how many?"
Théoden demanded while examining the soldiers at the encampment.
I was riding slowly behind him with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli besides me as we paced the grounds. The king was watching the men that had come to fight with us, looking for strength, ability.

"I bring five hundred from the Westfold, My Lord." Théoden seemed pleased with his answer and nodded. "We also have three hundred coming from Fenmarch."
This brought small hope in my heart, we have eight hundred more men to fight for us, but Théoden didn't seem to share my joy.

"And where are the riders from Snowbourn?" He asked. Grimbold seemed hesitant to answer. "They have not arrived yet, My Lord."
Théoden swore under his breath before stopping his horse and dismounting, the rest of us following suit.

Rhea pawed the ground and tossed her head, her mane flying. All of our horse had been acting anxious and restless once we had neared the encampment, and despite our attempts, we couldn't calm them.

"Sshhh." I soothed her, stroking her mane and neck. "Everything is alright."
Arod whinnied and snorted, tossing his head as well. "It's no use." Legolas said from my right. "They are scared, as are the men."
He was right, of course, but I was confused as on why they were behaving the way they were.

"I have never seen them act this way." I told him. "Have you?" Slowly, he shook his head, holding Arod's reins.

To our left, Théoden was conversing with Aragorn on our army. "Six thousand spears." The king said. "Less than half of what I had hoped for."
Aragorn nodded solemnly. "Six thousand men will not be enough to break Mordor's walls."
"More will come." Insisted Théoden.
Aragorn sighed.
"Every hour lost hastens the defeat of Gondor. We have until dawn, when we must ride."

Théoden opened his mouth to respond, but Rhea reared on her hind legs and whinnied loudly, drawing their attention.
I grabbed her reins, and pulled her down, hushing her, but it seemed counter-productive.
"Rhea, it's alright." I soothed her, but she ignored me, which was odd for her. She usually responded to my every word.

Next to us, Arod started to whinny again, pawing nervously at the ground. "The horses are restless, the men are quiet." Legolas said to us. "They grow
nervous in the shadow of the mountain." I looked up at the new voice to see Éomer walking towards us.

"The passage there," Gimli said suddenly, "where does it lead to?" Stepping around Éomer, still holding Rhea's reigns, I looked where Gimli had pointed.
And indeed, in the base of the mountain, was a long, thin crack that wound into the rock and disappeared from my sight.

No light entered the passage, but I thought I saw a dark figure move inside and my eyes widened with fear and curiosity.
"That is the road to the Dimholt." Legolas said the Gimli, but I wasn't paying attention.
"None who enter it return. The mountain is evil." Éomer added with a warning tone.

Aragorn stepped forward, staring at the crack in the mountain as if he was searching for something. I followed him after a while, Rhea trailing behind me.
When I got to his shoulder, I looked sideways at his face. His countenance was unreadable, fear? Determination?
Giving up trying to read his looks, I turned back to the mountain pass.

And again, I caught sight of the dark form lurking in the darkest shadows of the rocks. It seemed to be watching us as much as we were watching it.
"Aragorn?" I whispered. "Aragorn?"
"Many creatures live inside the mountain." He said. "They will not come out. At least not while it is light." And with that, he turned and walked back to his horse, leading it to his tent.

So I hadn't been imagining it. Aragorn saw it, but didn't seem worried. So I had no reason to be worried.
I tried to calm myself down a little as I told myself this.
I moved closer to Rhea, feeling her body heat and being comforted by this. She, weirdly enough, wasn't acting restless anymore. I reached up and stroked her mane.