6 ; library discussions

SECURE — CHAPTER 6

[ She paused, "Though, pairing me up with Sirius Black might just put him on the lower scale." Lily cracked a smile, sending a grin in Katie's direction. ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"As some of you may know from your headmaster's speech last night, I am your new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Professor Malvolio Tolbert."

The man's smooth, low voice echoed through the quiet classroom, all having calmed to listen intently to the posh-cloaked man speaking to them.

From the moment he walked into his classroom — serious, yet not unapproachable — the students all turned to him in intrigue. They'd never had a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor that quite ever looked like him. His sharp cheekbones and dark slicked-back hair made him the youngest looking of all the professors they've had. His words were precise, but not cutting - formal, but not stiff.

He continued on, mentioning the topics they would cover over the span of the year, and using a few charms to create little wisps in the air that form corresponding visuals with each topic.

He cleared the air and began to speak again.

"To start off the year, I am assigning you a project that will be due in two months' time. This will be a partnered assignment, so I expect all of you to contribute to your part of the project." As he said the word 'partner' the room filled with hushed voices as students glanced around at their friends in hopes of partnering up.

Professor Tolbert raised his hands gently, effectively silencing the class in a way they've never done before. "Quiet down now. The project will consist of an essay as well as a visual presentation and model. You and whoever is to become your partner will research one of the Unforgivable Curses. Your model must be a functioning model, meaning that you must find a way for it to move, and shall depict what occurs under said spell. The essay must be written with contribution from both partners."

The class was now deadly silent. The small pitter-pattering whispers were now completely squashed. Unforgivable Curses were a very touchy topic at Hogwarts, especially with the world they were living in today, with You-Know-Who on the rise.

Katie noticed the way Tolbert's eyes flicked around the room, understanding going through his blue eyes.

"I will be assigning your partners for this project, as I believe in the development of new relationships or furthering already existing relationships through communication and cooperation, which will be needed for this project to be completed. And do plan wisely, as you will have other assignments to do for this class as this project is taking place."