Chapter Ninty-Seven: Family Ties

Connor had a strange feeling spark through his systems when Detective Reed didn't arrive on time for his shift. He knew Tasha had found a folder pertaining to her parents information, and that Reed would be stopping by their house to give everything he found to her. Why did the idea of the two spending time together still after all this time make Connor angry? Perhaps it was the way the Detective looked at Tasha. He would keep his gaze on her for far too long, and he would flirt with her shamelessly. Tasha was naive in the sense that she didn't notice his actions — that, or she didn't want to acknowledge it.

Connor trusted Tasha completely. He knew she would never cheat on him or hurt him in any way like that. But still, while he was keeping watch at the door the other day, he could hear the tension between the two — among other things. He knew how infatuated Gavin was with Tasha, even though she didn't see it herself. Connor knew Gavin's feelings went deeper than a simple crush, but he also knew the man was different then when they had met. Especially now that Gavin had begun to treat Connor with respect somewhat, he found himself more jealous because Tasha was spending time with Gavin. Tasha would tease Connor about his jealousy, but she'd also respect if he told her to stay away from him. But he wouldn't do that to her. She lost so much, and if she was happy being friends with Gavin, that's all that mattered.

But if Gavin puts a single hand on Tasha—

"Connor! Jesus, kid, snap out of it!"

Connor blinked a few times before he looked at Hank. "Sorry, lieutenant. What were you saying?"

"Geez, you've been staring into space for nearly five minutes! What's got you so worked up today?"

Connor's brows furrowed, "I was just trying to figure out why Detective Reed hasn't arrived yet."

"I thought you'd enjoy the lack of his company."

"I do, but Tasha was speaking to him yesterday about a case, so I can't help but wonder if they're together right now."

Hank thought on the idea for a moment. "Maybe they are. Maybe they're screwing each other in the parking lot." Hank burst out laughing, and even Connor chuckled at the joke. "Connor, if anything Reed is probably just—"

Hank stopped his sentence as he saw Gavin walk into the precinct, Tasha close behind him. She looked, well, neither of them could pinpoint how she looked. Determination and fury covering her entire face as she strode towards the Captains Office. Connor went to stop Tasha but Gavin grabbed onto his arm.

"You both need to go with her. Now."

Connor was about to reply in frustration before he saw Gavin's expression. The usual scowl was replaced with... sadness? Connor didn't have to be told twice as he followed suit, the three men following Tasha into the office where she had thrown a folder onto the desk.

"What the hell is this, Price?!" Captain Fowler asked in a frustrated tone. "You can't just barge into my office!"

"You knew! You knew all along and you never said a word!" Tasha yelled, pacing back and forth in front of his desk.