8 | pacing

(disclaimer: in this chapter, i'm talking about real relationships and not hookups or instances where the characters knew each other before coming to the ground, for the most part)

when it comes to romance, please keep in mind that season 1 of the 100 takes place roughly in the course of a month. although time on the ground is different than ~*Normal*~ time because of all of the things that happen to people, it's unrealistic for your character and their love interest to get together during episode 4 or 5.

before you come at me about flarke and how quickly they got together, i am 800% certain that it was so the audience could really feel clarke's sting of betrayal when it was revealed that finn was with raven all along.

the delinquents are basically family. they spend every minute of their lives together in season 1, so it's understandable that inseparable bonds will be forged. but when an OC and their LI say their first "i love you's" and do the do within the first 7 episodes, i feel like i need to just pause the story because slowWWwwW down i'm asthmatic and i can't keep up.

although your readers may be encouraging them to kiss and have children within their first few interactions, try to refrain from succumbing to their pleas. you can focus on building trust, emotional intimacy, and character development before you make them dive headfirst into a relationship. to me, a good writer can establish that the characters care about each other without them needing to kiss or have a dramatic confession (yet).

so few of the healthy romantic relationships on the show (i'm talking canon) are actually given articulate detail, visible pining, and real development, or are built properly. to be fairly honest, the only one i can think of is kabby. or memori, loosely.

(another disclaimer: i am a fan of many ships, both canon and not, but i'm just stating something that others in the fandom have pointed out as well. if you think about it, many relationships have come out of seemingly nowhere or had barely any development throughout them.)

sometimes, the plot can become boring after the characters get together because their relationship is just kind of ... there. giving it ups and downs that they work through, testing their bonds, and, you guessed it, pacing things properly can help prevent the post-canon slump that many fanfictions have. keep your readers intrigued!

(a note: my main ship took until season 2 to become Officially Canon and the secondary one took 11 episodes, but that was after 2 years of pining. just giving this information out to those who maybe haven't read my stories and want a reference point of what i chose to do.)