45 | bellamy in season 3 (rant 4)

it is the year 2020. season 3 came out 4 years ago and yet i still have people hating on bellamy in the comments of Rupture and on the internet in general, so i feel the need to write this seeing as it still seems to be relevant.

season 3, in my opinion, was a clusterfuck of plot holes and stuff i didn't care about. the only parts i liked were the bonds with the delinquents at the end, the ALIE storyline, and the fact that every minor character (jackson, miller, harper, etc) had something to do and some type of involvement in the storylines.

the biggest issue i have with season 3 and the ordeal with bellamy is that the grounders are placed on a pedestal when they never have been before. throughout the first two seasons, they proved themselves to be the type to kill first, ask questions second and also served as antagonists for the most part. they lied (acted like the sky people started the war in season 1 when THEY speared jasper in the chest first) and betrayed the sky people (who are by no means innocent either, but they're supposed to be the protagonists in our eyes).

this is suddenly flipped around in season 3. the grounders have this holy, radiant light shining on them by the narrative– and why? because jason rothenberg didn't anticipate for people to like lexa so much and decided to bring her back for season 3, but also needed to cater to the clexa audience. that's why clarke spent half the season in polis and so much of the storyline revolved around the grounders. jason admitted the audience's reaction to lexa was more than he bargained for and that her contract was originally for season 2.

the last impression we get of the grounders is them abandoning the sky people at mount weather because lexa made the deal with dante about keeping her people safe. in the sky people's eyes, they have every right to hate trikru. not to mention that they allegedly didn't allow the sky people to venture around and grow their own food (aka they placed limits on this). i don't think it was mentioned directly in the show but i believe it was confirmed by a writer (hence why i included "allegedly"). but i know that they did say that nobody could use mount weather, which seems stupid because they abandoned it.

then, without even like... apologizing, or even seeming sorry for what clarke (and bellamy and monty and the rest of the sky people went through), lexa just expected the sky people to join the coalition – which was literally formed to fight the mountain men, who no longer exist – so that seemed kind of redundant. kane was pretty fine with doing so (because, again, he seemed? really fine? with being abandoned?) but still. i'm surprised there wasn't more resistance because there still hadn't been a resolution to the conflict introduced in 2x16.

now, moving on to ice nation. i could rant for a long time about them, but since this is supposed to be about bellamy and we haven't gotten to him yet, i'll digress. people say "it was ice nation who blew up mount weather! not trikru!" yeah but... trikru still started the whole war and betrayed them in MW, among other terrible things like hunting the delinquents for sport and stringing up jasper as live bait when he was unarmed and already injured. ice nation is arguably the worst grounder clan, but trikru isn't innocent, either.

let's get into bellamy's role.

as we know, clarke is given most of the burden for mount weather. she's called wanheda, she's wanted by the other clans, and it literally follows her wherever she goes, even now. bellamy gets none of that. in fact, we hardly see the psychological damage that's been done to him. this glossing over of his emotions and PTSD is honestly one of the biggest mistakes season 3 made– also with the fact that the writers apparently just forgot that monty was the one who came up with the idea and set it up for them to pull the lever. remember that this choice was a direct consequence of trikru's abandonment.