FOURTEEN

< : > : Chapter Fourteen : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

Walking into the house I looked at the unfamiliar space unsure of where I was. There was a nice comfy brown couch with a quilt on the back and matching chair sat against the window both facing a tv. The space looked nice and homey.

Hearing shuffling to my left I headed in that direction slowly feeling like I was intruding. Coming to a white kitchen that was about the same size as my house I stepped inside looking for the person making noise. Just as I was walking around the corner of the island a woman kneeled in front of the kitchen cabinets.

"Found it!" She stood with a muffin pan. Turning around to me she smiled. "Hey Harlow. How are you doing honey?"

"Um . . . fine?" I said in more of a question even more confused as to why I was in Phoenix's Aunt Justine's house.

"Have a seat. I didn't know you were stopping by. I would have made the muffins earlier."

"It's fine. It just kind of . . . happened."

Looking around the kitchen trying to make sense of the situation I wanted to ask if Phoenix was here but I wasn't sure if I honestly wanted to know. What if he was? What if he was in his room and could come out any second? What if he was in the hall eavesdropping? Peeking over my shoulder I looked back to the hallway sighing in relief when no one was there.

"Who are you looking for?"

Jumping at the voice to my left I looked into hazel eyes that I've only seen on a screen. He was here . . . in the flesh.

I wanted to reach out and poke his face to see if this was real but I kept my hands to myself on my lap. "Phoenix?"

"Harlow?" He smirked at me causing a swarm of butterfly wings to flap in my stomach.

"Y-You're here."

"I live here."

"You . . . you live there Phoenix - in California."

Opening his mouth to speak there was ringing in the distance.

"What?"

Repeating his statement the ringing blurred out his words once again.

"What is that?" Looking around the kitchen I asked his Aunt Justine if her phone was ringing.

Looking at me confused she shook her head opening her mouth to talk when the ringing started again.

What the hell is that?

.

.

.

.

Rolling over I grabbed the pillow covering my head hoping that the noise interrupting my sleep would stop. Hearing it buzz again I threw off the pillow snatching my cell off the charger swiping to receive the call.