Chapter 5: A Polite Burglar on our hands

By the time Heather finally woke up, it was morning and there was sunlight streaming in through the attic windows. She sat up and rubbed the back of her sore head with a groan as she looked up to see that what had frightened her the night before was just a mannequin wearing a suite.

She scoffed at her own stupidity and stood up looking around at some of the things in the attic that the Heelshires had collected over the years. While searching, she found an old picture album. Heather sat down, picking the book up and began leafing through it.

Inside the album Heather found several pictures of a little boy, Brahms. She smiled at the sight; he was an adorable baby and a very cute little boy. Heather couldn't help but think that he would have made an attractive man, had he had the chance to grow up.

She finally came to the end of the album, finding a picture of the painting that was hanging up as well as another picture hiding behind it

She finally came to the end of the album, finding a picture of the painting that was hanging up as well as another picture hiding behind it. She pulled them out and looked at both of them.

Then she noticed that the smile he had in the painting had been painted on, it was fake. She also noticed that he didn't really smile in any of his pictures.

There was no expression at all really; he just had a blank look on his face.

Heather jumped in fright at the sound of the attic stairs finally releasing, then she let out a sigh of relief.

She climbed down, still holding onto the photo album, and looked around the hallway in confusion then turned to look into her room. All her clothes were back, though they were thrown around the room haphazardly, as though they were put back in a hurry.

She huffed and grabbed some clothes to put on, slipping the album into one of her drawers as she went, and changed quickly before calling Malcolm to ask him to come over.

While waiting she went to Brahms' room to wake him up

While waiting she went to Brahms' room to wake him up. She dressed him quickly and headed out of the room to go fix some breakfast.

"Oh Brahms, I'm sorry we're getting such a late start to the day," Heather started as she carried the doll down the stairs, "but you would not believe the night I had."