Old Grudges

-RAVEN-

Usually when traveling to Nat's house I'm happy because I know I'm going to get to hang out with Nat, who had kinda been like what I'd expect an older sister would act.

But today the entire mood of the situation was tense and distracting and all I really wanted was my Mate beside me.

I sighed and looked out the window as my brother drove onward.

I watched on out the window not really knowing what to say but the one thing I knew for sure was tonight would be awkward as hell and it was all my dad's fault.

If only they could talk it out.

But I knew that when it came to Weres...Alpha Weres no less, I knew it wouldn't be that easy.

When we pulled up to Nat and Charles house I looked at my cellphone and as I saw the time I knew my Ryland would be arriving at the packhouse for a quick shower and then meet us shortly after.

I couldn't help but smile now as I thought about the apartment. I still couldn't believe my Mate has his own place...and hopefully I'd be able to go over like Royce said. Of course I would definitely wait until my dad wasn't here as I don't want to disrespect him in any way.

But the though that I'd spend the night with my Mate in our own apartment soon enough made me happy none the less.

"Hey everyone, come on in." Nat smiled and hugged us all, even my dad (though their hug was much more stiff and slightly quicker) out of respect for one another.

I walked in and Charles hugged me before taking my bag for me.

I followed him a little so we were away from the others, "Hey...I wanted to thank you, Ryland told me what you did." I said making sure no one was paying attention to us.

He grinned, "I remember first finding my own mate...so it was nothing." He said with a wink before leaving to put my bag in the guest room.

I was glad when Ryland arrived and after he had greeted everyone personally he finally made his way to me.

I smiled at him and with his own handsome smirk he pulled me into a loving embrace.

No one said anything and I just enjoyed the sweet moment before Nat sounded that dinner was served.

Nat and Charles headed the table on each end and I sat next to Ryland while Alexia sat between both my father and brother...dad of course sat near Nat so as to keep the distance between himself and Charles.

The conversation was a little sparse as no one really knew what to talk about to be honest.

"How's the wedding planning going Alexia?" Dad asked.

She smiled, "It's almost done finally, Of course I've had a lot of help from my wedding coordinator, Aunt Nat, Raven, and Mrs Highfield."

"How are your parents by the way?" My father asked, "I hope they're in good health...I should meet with them to pay my respects during my stay here."

Charles looked at him for a while before he nodded his head, "I'll take you round tomorrow, I've got to head up that way anyhow."

"Maybe I should come with you both." Royce added in, probably picking up on the tension we were all feeling.

Both my Dad and Charles nodded silently.

We continued to eat.

"Nat this is delicious." I offered.

She smiled at me, "Thanks Hun."

"Uh, I've got some news..." Ryland said. "I got my own place this afternoon, it's pretty bare at the moment so no telling when I'll actually move in but one step closer to making this place home right?"

Royce congratulated him and my Dad nodded his acknowledgement. While Charles smiled but it was Nat who showed the most enthusiasm.

"Oh congratulations Ryland...always remember where you come from though, no matter where you call home it's your family that keeps you grounded." She said as she then winked at me.

While dinner was magnificent it really felt like it was never ending with the obvious forced conversation between Dad and Ryland, Nat, and Charles.

We skipped dessert and when Alexia and Nat started to clear away the table I followed Ryland and Royce to the living room knowing Dad would be right behind us.

But we were all surprised when Dad stood up from his seat and stopped Charles.

"Charles, a word please?"

Charles gave him a hardened stare before he begrudgingly nodded his head and showed my dad out the back door to give them optimum privacy.

But the rest of us that remained inside were only worried what they'd say or do to one another if left alone with the years of aggression and resentment built up between the two of them.

"Maybe I sh-"

Nat shook her head and cut off Royce, "no, they need this."

She ushered us to the living room and I sat down with Ryland.

"S-so Ryland...you said you got your own place?" Alexia sounded in an attempt to start up a conversation and keep us from worrying about the two vengeful Alphas in the backyard. "Are you still going to be close to the Packhouse?"

Ryland smiled. "Yes, it's isn't too far, I knew I had to stay near for Beta Duties and my mate."

I smiled.

"I'm sure you're anxious to go and visit him." Alexia said to me now.

"Of course...but baby steps." I said.

She smiled and nodded alongside Royce. Nat on the otherhand looked extremely worried so I had no doubt in my mind that Dad and Charles were fighting.

Alexia continued to do her best to keep the conversations going but it was clear that none of us were really paying attention.

Time seemed never ending as we awaited the inevitable outcome of the "talk" they were having...but it finally came to an end when they both walked inside.

Of course they both wore signs of physical altercation but they seemed to be able to be near one another now.

and none of us would ever expect them to be best friends or anything, I mean this is decades of hate...but I felt like maybe they could tolerate one another now.

"Everything good?" Royce asked them.

They both nodded.

"I'm gonna take off to my apartment for the night." Ryland said and the room sort of nodded to acknowledge that they had heard him, and Charles announced that he was going for a run.

I hugged my mate and he kissed me before taking off.

"Nat, Thank you for having me." Dad said before he walked over to hug me as well and then followed Royce and Alexia out of the house for the evening.

"Well...I'm going to get the dishes out of the way...you go and get ready for bed." Nat sounded slightly flustered.

I began walking out of the livining room when she stopped me.

"Actually, The dishes can wait...could you do me  favor Raven?"

I nodded.

She smiled and touched the back of her perfectly fixed hair, "When Charles gets back, could you relay to him that I've gone to the Green House for the evening." She shrugged and smirked. "Animal urges ya know?"

I blushed for her and then just like that she was gone.