ch1

Published 11/28/18

Rose Pov

I was standing in the river with a spear in one hand waiting for a fish to swim by. I had 5 fish already but I was not only feeding my self. 2 days ago I had found 3 wolf pups with their dead mother. She was killed by humans from what I could tell. So now I was taking care of them. I'm teaching them how to hunt and survive on their own. But today was a bit colder so I left them in the cave. I needed about 12 fish. 3 for each of us.

I saw a fish swim by and *bam* I stabbed it with my spear. I quickly lifted it out of the water throwing it into my hand made basket. I could bearly feel my feet since the water was quite cold. I soon heard hoots and a splash of water. I froze dead in my spot. I slowly turned and saw not that far from me were two apes. My movement must have caught their attention as they turned to me. My mouth went dry. One had beautiful blue eyes and large cuts on the upper half of his body and a small cut on the side of his face,  and the other had green eyes. We were having a stare down it seemed. I made no sudden moves in fear.

I had known about the ape colony. I often stayed away from them and in my part of the forest. Staying undetected by them.......Until now. I had been watching the ape colony for a very long time and have learned sign language from watching them. I glanced at the pile of fish then back at them. I needed this food. I would not let the pups go hungry without a fight. I dropped my spear into the water slowly putting my hands in the air in a surrender position. I slowly moved closer to the bank of the river. The two apes watching me very closely. I now stood on the bank. I bend down very slowly and grab my basket before standing back up straight, I glanced at the apes than the forest and once more at the apes.

Before bolting off into the woods. Not hearing anything behind me, I ran for about 5 minutes. Once I thought I was far enough away from the apes I collapsed to the ground leaning against a tree for support. I was panting hard, that had been the first time in a long time that I had run that fast.

I sat there on the ground for about 3 minutes before I heard something. I glanced around the tree and saw the 2 apes from earlier staring at a human man. (When did he get there?!). I saw the man pull out a gun and point it at the apes. I froze. The ape with the blue eyes and cuts hissed at the man. I watched as the one with green eyes moved a bit and saw the man start to pull the trigger.

The world around me froze and I moved not even thinking. I attacked the man getting in front of the apes and pinning the man to the ground. Then a gunshot went off, my ears were ringing and pain had exploded in my side. The man I had pined pushed me off him and towards the apes. My eyes soon met blue eyes.