My Heart

Ella's pov:

"Let me get this straight, your mom actually wants to do better?" Luke asks, staring at me. His eyes held curiosity, and shock, but I could see right through it which held disbelief.

I couldn't blame him though.

I couldn't believe what I was trying to say to him neither.

In fact, I don't think it even fully registered in my brain that my mom, you know, the one who made my life a literal living hell, is trying to be a better mother.

To actually try to do things that will make me happy, not just what will make her happy.

"I think so, when I got home though, she didn't really address it, but I think she's waiting for the perfect time to give a full explanation." I say, as I pick up my mug from the car seat and take a sip of the coco that Luke made.

We were sitting side by side in the back seat of his car in the Dairy Queen Parking lot. I asked him if we could talk because I didn't know if I was doing the right thing or not.

"Well, if she let you go out to see me, then she must have understood that you don't want to be stuck in the house 24/7." Luke takes the mug out of my hands and takes a sip out of it.

"Hey! You have your own!"

"Mhhhm, you should be thankful I even brought you some."

"Aren't you such a considerate person."

"I really am, now are you going to eat your muffin or not because I am in pain just by looking at it." He complains.

"That will be like your fifth muffin in a matter of five minutes, you're going to get fat." I laugh, as he only shakes his head.

"It's called working out Ella, you wouldn't know." I roll my eyes, but he only winks at me and puts the mug back in the cup holder.

"Sorry, after taking horrible yoga classes by an unskilled yoga teacher, I kinda gave up on physical activity."

"Please, I'm the best yoga teacher out there."

"You know, it's against scholastic integrity to say things you know are not true."

"It's also against scholastic integrity to bully people who clearly have talent in the yoga field."

"The yoga field?"

"Yes, it was my major."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, along with dealing with obnoxious children. Oh wait, can't say that out loud, you might get offended."

"Hey, I don't think I'm the child here."

"Whatever you say shortie."

"I am not short! I am average height according to google."

"Did google also teach you how to lie? Because you suck at it."

"Not that, but it taught me how to use your head, but it must be hard for you since yours is empty."

"Rude."

"Thank you." I couldn't help but let out a small grin.

I missed this.

I missed us.

And it's crazy to think how last week I felt like I had nothing, but today...

I felt like I had everything.

It's definitely weird, I admit. I was so used to hating myself, my life, and basically everything.

But now, I enjoy the little things in life, the things I didn't know about before.