The Seventh Letter

January 9,

Anger is something that I've worn all my life. I have been mad at myself. Mad at the world. Mad at you. Sometimes, I am angry for no reason at all. Today, I had plenty a reason. As I drew closer to Matt's daycare, I heard arguing and laughing. At first, I was unconcerned. Then I saw the metal fence that protected the playground attached to the brick building. I saw Matt by a toy truck, unattended. Some kids looking to be 10 or 11 jostled him, kicked and threw him to the ground. They took his bag and ripped it open, spilling supplies on the ground. Then it was a free for all as they stuffed whatever they could into their pockets.

I moved stealthily and hopped the fence as they were about to leave. Matt jumped on one of the guy's backs and was easily thrown off. I glared at the five older boys picking on my little buddy. I said, 'What do you think you're doing?'

One said, 'Mind your business.' And took out a pocket knife.

I said, 'You shouldn't be playing with that, or picking on my little brother.'

The kid spat. 'He's not your brother.'

'He is.'

'You don't look like him.'

'Don't got to look like him to be his family. Give him back his stuff and go.'

He said, 'No.'

Matt's small hands were on my knee. He said, 'It's okay. I wanna go home. I wanna go.' Snot stained the front of his jack and spit clung to the side of his mouth. His tears wouldn't stop. His blue jacket was black and spotted with dirt. I picked him up and what was left of his bag. His arms wrapped around my neck, his sniffles wore away at my iron defenses. I sighed and said, 'Why are you taking his stuff? If it's money you want, he's only six. He has none.'

The tallest who I supposed was the leader said, 'Let's ditch.' He checked his buddies. And they nodded in agreement. I let them go- it took every bit of self-control not to chase after them. I held onto the shaking Matt and kissed his cheek. He was light for his age and I wondered is he was eating enough.

Poverty was such a terrible thing. But stealing from someone who was just as badly off as yourself was counterintuitive.

After living with Dana for a while, it became clear that Dana's lifestyle and mine were completely different. You never knew what a person was going through till you tried on their shoes. I never had to worry about food or where the next set of school supplies would come from. I didn't have to worry about anything much. My parents got me everything I needed plus some that I didn't.

I couldn't help sighing as I swung my legs over the low fence and walked Matt home, past the elementary school and down the catwalk. Matt's coarse hair rubbed my neck as he raised his head. 'T-they gone?' he asked in a weak voice.

'Yeah.'

'They took batman.' He sniffled.

'I'll get you another one,' I paused then said, 'why were you outside by yourself?'

'I was trouble. They said go outside till Dana come for me.'

I sighed again. Negligence at its best.

'Don' like i' there,' he said.

I told him, 'I'm sorry, little man, it's the best your mommy can afford right now.'

'I know... dat why I don' complain. But I wis mommy and you guys stayed home more.'

'Hang in there and try not to give any trouble, okay?'

'Okay....'

+

+

+

I worked on Physics on the floor of their living room. Matt walked in, hugging his stuffed monkey. He looked at the formula for centripetal acceleration. 'Was dat?' He asked, lying on the floor by my side.

'Gibberish,' I said.

'Wat subjec?'

'A painful thing called Physics.'

'Was Fysics?'

'It's the study of matter and energy and how they interact.'

'Huh.' He clucked his tongue. 'Is it fun?'

I smiled. 'Is school ever fun?'

He said, 'Sometimes.'

I said, 'Well, I guess gravity is fun. It's the force of attraction between two masses. Right now, I'm attracted to you and you're attracted to me.'

His mouth made an 'O'. 'And Stephanie's attracted to me too?'

I told him, 'Gravity is a physical attraction. Love is a mental attraction.'

He said, 'So you like anyone? I like you.'

I grinned. 'I know you do.' I rubbed his hair. 'And I do have someone I like.'

'I knows him?'

'It's a girl.'

His eyes widened. 'Oh, do I know her?'

'You should,' I said with a teasing smile.

'Hmm. I'll puts on my detective cap and find her then.' He stood up and raced towards the room I shared with the girls. I heard them scream at him to get out.

He said, 'No! Is my house too. I has work to do. Where's Dana's photobook?'

I chuckled softly. What an adorable kid. I wondered if he would be able to find you.

+

+

+

There are many injustices that we face on a daily basis. Some worst than others. Few people have an easy life. I suppose I'm fortunate to have parents that were able to achieve the heights that mine did. But I wonder if I was born in a family like Dana's- would I have had an easier time accepting myself? Or is it the parents themselves that affect a child's sense of worth, regardless of their social class? Dana's mom is supportive and understanding, but other parents in her situation might not react the same way. This is something I don't yet have an answer to.

Sorry to end this letter on such a sad note. I hope to see you soon.

Love,

Val

A/N: Thanks for reading. If you guys were down this week, I hope this next one is better XD Have a great weekend and love you guys. I'll be updating next Tuesday like usual :)