Ch. 21

I stared at the house in front of me and thought. Did I want to do this? Was it worth it?

I felt a squeeze in my hand and turned to face Kusuo. The same Kusuo who was with me after the phone call with Manai.

The same Kusuo who went all the way to America to help me confront Manai. I felt my heart swell. This would be worth it.

I rang the door bell and waited for an answer. The door swung open and a lady who had short, black hair and brown eyes answered.

"Hello? You are... wait... (Y/N)?! Is that you," asks Manai's mom. Her name is Catty and she's awesome.

She may seem rude at first but she's been like a mother to me, every since I was little.

"Hey, Catty, I was wondering if Manai was home," I tell her.

"Oh, yes. Manai's just in her room. She should be doing homework right now. Feel free to bother her. It's so good to see you again."

With a final hug from Catty, I was going upstairs to where Manai's room is. I give the door three sharp knocks and wait.

Kusuo is right behind me and managed to get past Catty without being caught and questioned.

I hear shuffling from behind the door and then I hear Manai's voice cut through the silence, "who is it?"

"It's (Y/N)," I call out. Hearing Manai's voice made me recall so many memories. I ignored them and continued through this whole plan.

A thump was heard, followed by footsteps. The door swung open and I flinched as Manai yanked me into her room before closing the door again.

"What are you doing here," she asks me quietly.

"I need an explanation for the phone call and everything that's been going on. I feel like you have something to do with it," I tell her.

She fidgets and moves to sit on her bed. She puts her head in her hands and sighs.

"I— it's gone so far. I wanted revenge for your lying to me and so I hired someone who said they could deceive you. She seemed so trustworthy. I thought she would listen to me.

"So I told her about you and my plan. I told her about your mom and I told her to get into your life and betray you. Lie to you. But she didn't listen. She went her own way."

"What'd she say to you?"

"She told me you weren't lying! She told me that she was going to steal your powers and keep them for herself! I didn't know! I thought you were lying about them!"

"You've seen me use my powers!"

"I thought it was a hallucination!" she yells back at me. She's glaring at me but she takes a few breaths before looking down at the ground and lowering her voice.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to harm you physically, only emotionally."

"That doesn't make it better!"

Manai shakes her hands around and screams, "yeah, I know!"

We grow quiet after that. Neither of us wanting to say something to start the other talking again. After a while I can't take the tension.

"I'm leaving," I say quietly.

"(Y/N), wait-," Manai calls after me while I leave her room. But I don't wait. I don't to be there with her, be near her.

My heart aches and when I see Kusuo waiting outside I collapse into him and sob. Kusuo manages to bring me out of the house, not getting noticed by Catty.

Once out of the house he just walked. I think he would've teleported but he knows teleporting makes me feel sick.

He walked and walked and walked. At some point he might've carried me. I didn't know, I didn't care.

I just wanted to cry. Cry until everyone around me was gone and I was alone, left to my thoughts.

That's what I wanted though, not what I needed. What I needed was support and friends and laughter and Kusuo.

After a long while, we stopped walking. I knew that from the way I heard Kusuo's voice cut through my thoughts.

"We're here," he whispers into my ear. I look up and try to pinpoint where we actually are but all I can tell is that it's bright and very loud.

As much as I wanted to leave, I also wanted to stay. I figured I knew what it was. There's only so many places where screams can be so loud and cops won't be alerted.

He took me to an amusement park. Kusuo took me, with tears running down my cheeks and a runny nose, to an amusement park.

I almost laughed. I wanted to but I know that it would only end up with more tears and boogers. Instead I decided to just lightly chuckle and give my best smile to Kusuo.

He returned it, I think. I couldn't really tell as my vision was still blurry but I'm pretty sure he did.

"Alright, lets get you into this park," Kusuo tells me. He leads me to the entrance and I feel a sort of childish spirit come over me and we go trough tall arches to get to the ticket booth.

I hear words be exchanged and then more walking. I kept trying to wipe my eyes, to get rid of the tears so that I could see properly, but I had no such luck.

I followed Kusuo and kept a steady knowledge on where he was by holding his hand. Kusuo didn't pull away from it so I figured it was fine.

I can tell we've walked into the park and after another minute of walking Kusuo stops, me stopping behind him.

Kusuo turns to face me and goes, "here you go."

He hands me a tissue and I begin to wipe my tears with something better than my rough sleeve.

"Thank you," I answer before looking around with my newly working eyes. Let me tell you, it was enchanting.

Kids and rides and noises. It all blended together. The smells got me the most and my stomach growled.

"Kusuo, can we get food?" I ask him.

He takes my hand and I watch him nod. We start moving down the street and all I can do is take in the sights and sounds and smells.

This lifted my spirits. This made me feel better. It made me forget some of my worries, even if they would come back later.

Thank you, Kusuo.