Eleven

3019, Earth | Approaching Space

Ben and Justine emerged from the water, breathing and gasping for air. Both of them were drenched in water and extremely tired after the crash course at somewhere around the West Philippine Sea. The sun shined on them as they lay on the floor completely exhausted after what had happened in the past hours. Justine couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"Alright," Ben said, pulling himself together and sitting down. "If our luck is on our side, then. . ."

"We're in Texas, USA," Justine finished for him.

"I was going to say Houston," Ben corrected him. "But okay."

All the reality seemed to sink in. Ben was amused; they were in the right place. They were here. It was noon and the Revolution III will launch the next day, if the bomb would not be blown. They needed to hurry.

"Come on," Ben said, going ahead. "We need to find a spaceship." Justine sighed and jogged after him.

Ben used to remember how Houston looked like. Even during the past millennium, the populous city never changed its landscape. Instead, more buildings rose and more spaceships flew than any other place that Ben had been to. The peculiar buildings always amazed him.

But in this part of Houston, it's a bit quiet. No strange sounds of spaceships hovering in the sky. Surrounding him were what Ben and Justine had not been expecting: greenery. Little shrubs and huge patches of grass surrounded them. It was the oddest thing yet after the past eventful days. Still, Ben longed for those days, even if it would mean getting chased by police ships or maybe something worse than that.

"I thought Houston was a busy place," Ben muttered.

Justine did not answer. Seconds later, he suggested instead of agreeing. "Let's go walk over there," He pointed at some open space that revealed a path.

"Sure."

They walked together, but somehow kept a little distance. Each had their own thoughts and they stayed silent.

"Sooo. . ." Ben said, interrupting the silence. "Do you some backstory you want to tell?"

Justine shrugged. "Nope."

"Come on," he groaned. "It's not all the time we would be in a tranquil place. It's, like, all the time we would get chased by some controlled guys."

He didn't reply.

"Okay. Another question: why?"

"Could you please shut up for once?" Justine exclaimed, facing Ben, who was shocked by his sudden change in tone and behavior. "I'm trying to enjoy the peace!" He steadied his breath before they continued walking like as if nothing ever happened. Justine looked around anxiously, as if he was trying to forget it.

Ben knew that he was lying. He must have a terrible past, he thought. But that's for later.

Eventually, as they walked, the greenery showed them crumbling walls and rusted roofs of residences. The grass were overgrown and vines began growing on those broken houses. This must be one of those old houses.

He could barely remember the houses before the Third Millennium began. They were modern concrete houses constructed during the past millennium. He wondered how a thousand years couldn't affect the house.