Twelve

3019, Earth | Space

The ships fired before they reached them.

Ben and Justine ran, but they were no match for the police ships behind them, which are catching up to them. Justine took out his own blasters he got before Saturn II crashed.

"Dude," Ben mused, eyeing the guns while running for his life. "Where did you get those?"

"The ship," Justine simply answered and he tossed one to Ben, who caught it. It was an enhanced version of a caliber. He positioned the gun from behind and began shooting from there. His other comrade, Justine, took occasional shots from behind. The blasts reached the ships but were not doing any good. It won't be long until they would reach them.

"We can't make it," Ben said, hopeless.

Justine didn't reply until he saw a lush forest growing nearby. It was filled with greenery. He didn't like the fact that it was their only hope, but it was. No other choice, he thought, half miserable and half determined. It's going to be splinters or being arrested.

"Follow me," he finally replied to Ben.

The groaning of the police ships got louder; they were nearby. Justine and Ben got ready to jump into the forest. The ships saw them and began shooting lasers, but they were no good when the duo jumped into the labyrinth of lush trees, shrubs, and dirt.

Justine landed on the ground of the forest, which was dirt, groaning in pain. One blast hit its mark on his leg. Ben knelt beside him to help him up.

"Thanks man," he smiled.

"No problem," replied Ben, who kept his gun on his pocket. It would be needed in the future to come.

They stared with awe at the fresh leaves that rustled and fell to the ground while the sun shone above them and the clouds looked like puffy pillows. Ben sighed. He could really use a pillow at the moment.

He, together with Justine, walked in the forest side by side. They had to keep moving. It won't be long until the police force would find them in the forest.

But when they heard humming, Ben and Justine ducked into the bushes. One peek was all it took to see odd spherical drones levitating in the air. They were scattered around the clearing, searching for them.

"Shoot," Ben said, clearly annoyed. "We have to take them down."

"No," insisted Justine, who winced after. "They will fight back. I say we get out of here."

His comrade was about to reply when one of the drones sensed their presence and began to fire lasers. Ben dashed for the nearest tree, with Justine not far behind. Ben knelt to examine the wound.

"It's getting worse," he said. "Use your shirt."

"What am I supposed to do with my t-shirt?" asked Justine incredulously. "It's for wearing you know."

"Wrap it around the wound, dummy," Ben replied, making Justine wonder if he was agitated, joking, or exasperated.

He quickly took off his t-shirt and wrapped it around the blast wound he got moments ago before more laser blasts can be heard. Justine staggered to his feet and leaned on Ben for support.