Chapter 18

Tyler's POV

You know that fear that grips you when mummy or daddy catches you stealing a piece of meat from the pot of soup? Yup, that's the way I felt when I realized my dad actually walked in on me and Tiana, kissing. Talk about awkward.

Tiana was already on her feet, looking down like there was something interesting on the floor. I stood up and looked at my dad, who surprisingly was smirking knowingly.

"Dad. I didn't hear you come in." I said. He walked into the room and nodded.

"You sure didn't. You were busy, I saw that." He smiled and looked at Tiana. She, sensing his gaze on her looked up.

"Good evening sir." She stuttered out.

"Good evening, my dear. How are you." He said good naturedly. Tiana looked from my dad to me then back to my dad.

"I'm fine sir." She forced out. She was playing with her fingers and I could sense she was nervous. I was too.

"What your name dear?" He asked her.

"Tiana Dakoba." Tiana replied. I looked at Dad and saw him nod his head in approval.

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful lady like you. It's very nice to meet you." He smiled and I frowned. What has gotten into my dad?

Naturally, African parents will kill you if they walked in on you kissing anyone. Why is my dad smiling like he he approved of what he just caught me doing? Not like it was bad, but African parents would never understand.

You better be thanking you stars he isn't sending her out. My subconscious told me.

"Dad." I called him, cocking my head to the side to signal him that he had to leave. Tiana was getting a bit more uncomfortable. Fortunately, he got the signal.

"I should leave you guys. I'd be downstairs." He smiled at Tiana and winked at me before walking off, closing the door behind him. The room settled in an uncomfortable silence. I walked up to Tiana and held her forearm.

"You okay?" I looked at her searching her eyes. She nodded, still looking shy.

"I'm fine. Just a lite flushed. Still surprised your dad didn't send me out. That happens all the time." She chuckled uneasily.

"Naturally all African parents will certainly do that." I said to ease her worries. She looked up to meet my eyes.

"Your dad seems really nice tho. Not the way you described him." She whispered.

"He is trying to make amends but I'm not making it easy for him. He hurt me for six years. Everything can't go back to normal in just a few weeks. Especially when he got rid of my admission letter and form. That was my ticket out." I told her and she nodded, in understanding.

"At least he is trying to make amends." She repeated and I scoffed.

"If he can get me another Admission letter and form, maybe I'll reconsider." I said in sarcasm and Tiana laughed. I watched her, an unconscious smile spreading across my lips.

"Tyler," She called softly, looking into my eyes. I watched her.

"You need to be grateful for what you have. You have a father that wants to correct his errors and that's amazing. I can't remember when last I saw my parents. I don't even think they can remember my birthday or the class I am in." She looked away. Tiana was giving me a hint on what was going on with her.

"Tiana..." I trailed off. She looked outside and saw it was getting darker.

"I should get going. It's getting really late." Tiana pulled away from me and picked her bag. I sighed. When will she learn to trust me enough to tell me more?