Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
The wind rustled the deep red hair of the vampire as he walked with purpose up to the castle. Guards tried to stop him, but he barely batted an eye.

"He's under possession," one of them yelled.

Another got a bow ready, aiming it at the man's head. Before he could loose the arrow, a man appeared in the doorway. A large man, with buzzed red hair. He's tall and built, his skin the color of ice. His eyes are a more golden red, and they are staring holes into the man walking up the steps.

"What happened," he questioned, his voice booming.

The man's voice came out automated as he spoke. "We infiltrated the demon realm. We taunted some of the guests, and the princess killed every last one of us. Made us bleed out. She left me to give you a message."

The kings jaw locked as he stared into the man's eyes. "I don't need the message. I know you're listening, little princess. Somehow, someway, I will have you. And when I do, the whole world will burn. Including everyone you have ever loved. That is my warning to you."

Then he brought a claw to the man's throat and slit it before he could take his own life.

I gasped and sat up, my heart pounding. How did he know I was listening?

"Freya," my name was shouted, but by many different voices.

I looked around and noticed my bedroom full of people. They all jumped to their feet when they noticed I was awake. Saxon knelt in front of me, his eyes full of worry. "Are you okay?"

Before I could even answer, Lily was at my other side. Aiden, Christian and Rowan stayed on the other side of the room, but their eyes gave away how worried they were.

"I need to talk to Mal."

"What?"

I ignored their exclamations as I threw my legs over the bed and stood up. Rowan was at my side in a second, shoving everyone else out of the way. "What's wrong?"

"I have to see Mal," I repeated, staring into his eyes so he would see how serious I was.

He looked into my eyes for a few moments before nodding. I tried to walk, but stumbled. Rowan threw my arm over his shoulder and allowed me to use all of his weight to walk to the door.

Saxon intercepted us. "Where do you think you're taking her? She needs rest!"

"I'm fine," I growled. "This is important."

Saxon shook his head and tried to grab for me, but Rowan stepped us out of his way. Before they could start an outright brawl, my door flung open. Mal stood there, eyes wild.

Her eyes found me instantly. "We need to talk."

I nodded. "I was just on my way to you."

"What the hell is going on," Aiden questioned, throwing his arms up in the air in exasperation.

Mal and I looked at each other, an understanding reflecting through both of our eyes. "We need to talk alone."

Saxon narrowed his eyes, but slowly backed off. I took a deep breath and shrugged away from Rowan, walking over to Mal. Before I could get far, I stumbled again.

"How about we leave and you two stay here," Rowan announced.

Everyone else in the room nodded, shuffling out quickly. Rowan was the last to leave. He turned to me, his gaze heated. "Come to me once you two talk."

I nodded and watched as he walked out of my room and closed the door behind him. I turned to Mal then, waiting for her to begin.

"Why don't we sit," Mal suggested.