Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen
I stared at Saxons ring, twirling it between my fingers. Him and Lily went back home, and all I can think about is him. So much has changed since I accepted this engagement. What does that mean for this kingdom, for my relationships with the people in this kingdom? Aiden freaked out when he found out, and he doesn't even know Saxon. If Rowan found out...

I sighed. He's going to find out. Especially now that we are planning on making an alliance. He needs to hear it from me. But now, I'm so unsure about it. With this war going on, and an alliance between both kingdoms, how could I ever choose which one to rule? They both need me right now. How could I have been so stupid, so selfish, to make a decision so early on? I didn't even know this kingdom yet.

I groaned and laid back onto the bed, bringing the ring up to my chest as I did. What am I going to do? Ending the engagement would absolutely destroy Saxon. I would never want to hurt him like that. And my mother would see it as me wanting to rule this kingdom. But if I don't end it, the Daemonium kingdom will see it as the same thing. No matter what, I lose in this scenario. I just want to hurt as few people as I can along the way.

If I'm being honest, I miss Saxon. He's always so serious, and knows exactly what to do in every situation. I could use some of that right now. I miss how familiar he is, how safe I feel around him. He's a really good friend. But that's all he is. A good friend. Then there's Rowan. Every time he's around, my blood practically sings. I feel like I'm on fire. I feel wild, and dangerous. And my feelings for him aren't quite as friendly.

But what good would being with him do? He was calling for me in that vision. Maybe if I distance myself from him, I won't be the distraction that gets him... hurt. But how could I even distance myself from him? I need him for this alliance. And anyways, I don't think I could bring myself to do it even if I wanted to. I can't seem to stay away from him.

I need a distraction, and stat. I need to throw something, let off some steam.

I sat up and walked to my closet, throwing on a sports bra. I placed the ring tucked neatly inside it, before throwing on a tank top and a pair of spandex. Then I made my way out of my room and into the training room. Sadly, I didn't get the distraction I was hoping for.

Standing in the middle of the room was a shirtless Rowan. His back was to me, his attention on the targets in front of him. I watched as he took a deep breath before lifting his arm back and throwing the knife in his hand. It whirred threw the air effortlessly, landing clean in the dummy's eye.

He threw another, and then another. His muscles in his back flexed as he did, and I watched, entranced. It's like I physically couldn't look away. I watched as a drop of sweat dripped down his back and onto the waistband of his sweatpants. I licked my lips and forced my attention up and up, away from the danger zone.

"Are you done gawking," Rowan called, not turning around or stopping his knife throwing.

I bit my lip and shook my head. I should've known that he would know I was in here watching him. Seeing as there's no point in denying it, I decided to change the subject instead. "You have good aim."

Rowan laughed, a rough and chocolatey sound. "Of course I do."

I rolled my eyes. He's as cocky a ever. He turned toward me, his head tilted and a smirk covering his lips. I kept my eyes trained on his, refusing to let them trail down to his shirtless torso.

"Do you want me to teach you," he questioned, catching me off guard.

"Um, sure," I murmured, taking a tentative step next to him.

"You're going to need to be a bit closer to me," he informed me, laughter clear in his eyes.

I gulped and took a few more steps until I was right next to him. I don't know why I'm so nervous. Maybe it's because he's shirtless. Or maybe it's because of the way we danced the other night. All I know is that I don't like it.