Friendships

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes."  ― A.A. Milne. 

New York, 1997

Seven-year-old Noah wandered the empty halls of his new elementary school, his hazel eyes sparkling with curiosity. Unlike other children who cried on their first day, he thrived on exploration. He should have stayed with his parents in the reception lounge, but boredom gnawed at him after five minutes on the uncomfortable couches.

Toys held no allure for Noah. He had everything his heart desired, and anything else was just an ask away. His grandparents doted on him, and his parents, though strict, couldn't resist his charm. He fished a piece of candy from his pocket, his grandma secretly gave it to him while his parents were busy. The sweet and sour taste danced on his tongue, a smile blooming on his face.

The sound of soothing music drew him past the closed classroom doors. Curiosity piqued, Noah peeked into the music room. It was a few days before school started, and the room should have been empty. He pushed the door open, his hazel eyes falling on the pianist.

Disappointment washed over him. The pianist, a boy no older than eight, looked ordinary. His hair, the color of a newborn day's sunlight, seemed destined for surfing beaches. His clothes – a black tee and burgundy pants – were unremarkable. Round Harry Potter glasses sat on his nose, oblivious to the hazel eyes watching him weave music.

Noah's disappointment morphed into annoyance. He'd hoped to meet a girl, not another boy. A mischievous smirk played on his lips, the devilish glint in his eyes intensifying. He sauntered into the music room.

Samuel didn't understand why eight-year-old Keith burst out of the house, his shirt inside out and hair a mess. "Let's go!" Keith barked, jumping into the back of the black Acura Integra.

"Mr. Carlton, where are we headed?" Samuel asked, worry etched on his face as he watched Keith yank on his seatbelt.

"School!" Keith pleaded, his steel-gray eyes desperate. Samuel sighed. Keith, like his old man, was a force of nature, and questioning him would not change anything.

The tension in the car grew thicker with every passing mile. Samuel knew any attempt at conversation would be futile. The school parking lot was deserted except for a few faculty cars. As soon as the car stopped, Keith bolted out as if the seat was on fire, leaving a bewildered Samuel behind.

Anxiety gnawed at Keith as he raced through the school gates. His heart pounded in his ears, fueling his sprint towards the music room. But the silence in the hallways was deafening. He knew his best friend was here, and the absence of music made his heart race. "Nerd-face! How many fingers am I holding up?" came a mean voice as he neared the room.

"Give me my glasses!" his best friend's voice, laced with fear, demanded. The other boy just laughed, shoving the glasses into his pocket with a glint of mischief in his hazel eyes.

Keith stood behind the bully, his taller frame casting a shadow over the smaller boy. The hazel-eyed boy turned, an annoying smirk plastered on his face.

"Glasses. Now," Keith said, his voice brooking no argument. His gray eyes watched as the smirk faltered and the smaller boy's shoulders slumped.

"Here!" Noah shoved the glasses into Keith's outstretched hand. "Duckface!" he yelled at Keith before bolting out of the music room to find his parents. Noah just wanted to befriend the piano boy, the only way he knew how. He hadn't expected the steely-eyed boy to be a bully. He knew he wouldn't stand a chance in a fight.

Keith turned to his best friend, Neal. He gently placed the glasses back on Neal's face, a sad smile gracing his lips. "Let's go home, Neal," he said, taking Neal's hand and leading him out of the music room.

"Keith, wait! I need to call Mom about pickup," Neal said softly, stopping in his tracks.

Unshed tears welled up in Keith's steel-gray eyes. He didn't want to be the one to break Neal's heart. He didn't want to tell him his parents were in an accident on their way to the office. He didn't want to say that his mother died on impact and his father was fighting for his life in the hospital.

"Let's go home, Neal," Keith repeated, his voice thick with emotion as he gently urged his friend towards the car.

Edited 09/08/2021

Follow me on Instagram at @zaylinsilver Dont forvet to VOTE & Comment!!!