ch. 16 - department of mysteries

'You were like a thunderstorm.

Wild and magnificent.

A sound I could fall asleep to.

A scene I could watch forever.

But storms don't stay

And neither did you.'

||||

Fireworks popped and crackled as a tormenting dragon made of flame snaked through the air, chasing a squealing Umbridge, whose heels clicked unceremoniously as she attempted to escape the beast imitation. All students bore grins as wide as ever, gathering in the courtyard where the main displays were held. The Weasley twins were ending their year with a literal bang, the crowd continuing to cheer and grow even as the two culprits fled on their broomsticks, laughing triumphantly.

Adeline watched the fireworks in awe, giggling in delight as a small spark twirled playfully around her. As it vanished, she turned to where Harry had been behind her a mere minute ago, hoping to witness his reaction to everything wonderful around them. At first, however, she failed to spot him, her grin dwindling as she saw him on the ground with a concerned Hermione kneeling before him.

She moved to join the actions of the bookworm, though abruptly stood back as Harry frantically jumped to his feet, springing to action and leaving the courtyard into the deserted halls, with Ron and Hermione in quick pursuit. Though her bewilderment, she trailed after.

"—listen, Harry! What if Voldemort is just trying to get to you?" Hermione reasoned as she desperately tried to convince the flustered boy. The three having halted at a staircase, Adeline finally caught up.

"Voldemort?" Her heartstrings snapped, and so did their heads turning to her, as if they'd forgotten she was there. Her voice cracked. "What do you mean? What's happening?"

The floor seemed to sway beneath her feet, ears blocking as though submerged beneath water. If her heart had a rhythm, it would surely be too reckless to continue its cadence, thoughts flying around her head like rain in a twisting wind. A deadpanned, ghostly stare fogged her eyes. This couldn't be happening. Not again.

"What's going on?" A new voice joined, and even as Hermione and Ron turned to identify the source, her stare stayed trained to the same person, begging to Harry that this was just some sort of cruel joke. That it wasn't real. But as he was taking breaths in too quickly and tapping his foot to an inconsistent beat and averting his gaze from hers and—she knew. That it was real.

But then she could hear again and think properly and she could see the faces of Ginny, Neville and Luna. The Weasley girl's hand gently rested upon her shoulder as reassurance that maybe, just maybe, everything could be okay. She knew it wouldn't, but prayed it might.

||||

The plan nearly worked. Ron would rush to Umbridge as a distraction and tell her that Peeves was wreaking havoc in the Transfiguration classroom— which was on the other side of the castle when compared to her office. Luna, Ginny and Neville would keep students from walking the hall leading to the office whilst Harry, Hermione and Adeline would attempt to contact Sirius by fireplace. Addie had no idea what was going on, let alone why they needed to talk to Sirius, but apparently there was no time to tell her.

Umbridge hadn't believed the tale of Peeves, and sniffed the lie out without second-guessing—and to Ron's dismay, began angrily toddling after her office.