Chapter Eight: Lucky

Tessa's POV

Rabbit drives a rust colored Delta that has to be at least twenty years old. Older than my Nana's car that she left me. But at least he got his to work. It drives at least. He keeps it tidy, the car smelling a bit of pot and gasoline from tonights events but mostly of the leather from his seats mixed with his own subtle scent. 

Hanna selflessly offered rides to Jimmy's friends, all of them including Gabi packed into her car, so that it could be just Jimmy and I. It took Bob a while to get the hint though as he still tried getting in Jimmy's backseat, but Future took care of it. And now we cruise around, listening to some R&B on the radio, finally alone.

I sit with my back to the door and watch as he drives, admiring him. His hand gripping the top of the steering wheel, fingers tapping along to the music. The slope of his nose. His ears. The dimple on his chin. His lips. And those eyes that now dart to me, then back to the road.

"What?" He questions with a smirk.

"You're really handsome." I state honestly.

He looks at me again quickly, "Pshh. How wasted are you?"

"I'm not!" I tell him, amused. But he's not buying it so I add, "I only had like two drinks. And I think I coughed up most of what I smoked earlier." 

The drinks were over the course of the night too and anything I did end up inhaling is not effecting me anymore. Besides, I thought he was handsome when I was stone cold sober as well.

"Yeah, well that shit alters your perspectives. Even a 'lil will make you start seein' things." he mutters. 

"I don't know, I think I have a very clear head right now." I smile.

"Yeah, well...." He clears his throat then asks, "Where am I takin' you?"

I give him my address and some general directions to it. He nods along as he turns onto the next road and keeps driving. 

"So why Detroit?" he asks me, "What made you move here?"

"It's where my family is from." I say and continue to tell him briefly about my Dad and Nana being from here. How I came here every summer and how now that they've all passed away I've moved here to be closer to them in a way.

"So you think you'll stay?" He asks, concentrating hard on the road ahead of him. 

"Yeah...I think so. I like it here." I can tell that was the answer he wanted to hear by the way he shoulders relax a little and he looks at me with the corner of his mouth turned up in a small smile. I add as an afterthought, "Besides I couldn't leave the kids."

"Kids?" he asks, confused and concerned suddenly, eyes wide. I forgot he doesn't know my occupation.

I chuckle, "I'm a teacher. Over at Sunny Day Daycare." 

"A teacher. Woah. Yo, that's legit, Tess."

"What about you? What do you do when you're not burning down houses and spitting dope rhymes?"

He hesitates before answering, and I remember suddenly what Shelly said about him being fired from a job. I hope this isn't a sore subject. "Uh, I'm workin' over at New Detroit Stamping."

"New Detroit Stamping?" I repeat mostly to myself, the name sounding familiar. Then it clicks. I pass the plant every day on my route to work- it's not far from my place. "They make car parts there, right?"

"Uhh, yeah. The body panels and stuff." he shrugs, rubbing the back of his neck, "It's a job, ya know? Decent pay. Just lookin' to save up some money."