Chapter 13

The drive to Colorado proved a long and uneventful trip of over 11 hours. Dean stopped for nothing but gas and toilet breaks, often at the same time, paying with stolen or faked credit cards. Diamond didn't complain and only took food when offered, never more than just a few bites. She spent most of the time listening to the songs repeat on the cassette or to the brothers arguing over the fact that was all they listened to.

Eventually they crossed the border and stopped at the next hotel. Dean walked up to the window and asked for a bedroom with three beds, immediately getting laughed at by the surly woman who was missing teeth as well as manners.

"You get one or two beds or one or two rooms, not the best of both worlds, sweet cheeks," she said, winking at Dean, who was barely hiding his disgusted look. Dean rolled his eyes and paid for one room. Picking up the keys and motioning to the car before finding his room, Dean muttered:

"I guess I'll sleep in the bathtub, then."

There was no bathtub. Instead, they found the hotel room more compact than they expected. Sam and Dean had both lived in many a hotel and motel room all their remembered lives, but this was something that even they would consider sub-par. At least it was clean, had cable, a shower and a table next to its two twin size beds.

"I'll take the floor," Sam said before Dean could say a word.

"I'll catch ya next time," Dean acquiesced, dropping his bag beside the bed closest to the door. Diamond walked to the second bed and sat her bag upon it.

"I'm going to get some food, scope out the land and let Cass know we arrived so we can get our next move," Dean addressed the others while pulling out his phone. "I'll be back soon."

When the door closed behind him, Sam and Diamond looked at each other before Sam broke eye contact and walked to the bathroom. He stopped and turned to find her still staring after him.

"Did you need to use the bathroom first?" He asked her.

Diamond rose from the bed and walked slowly toward the tall man, her gaze never letting his go.

"Is there something wrong today?" she asked him softly. "You've barely said two words to me on the trip, on the stops and any attempts to get you to have a conversation with me has been shot down. What the hell?" Her voice never rose above the soft voice she started with but Sam felt the emotion behind it. His avoidance hurt her feelings.

"I'm sorry," Sam's head dropped to his chest. "I had a really odd dream and I wasn't handling it well. I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"So... we are ok?" Diamond ask, her eyes searching for the truth in his eyes. Sam nodded and smiled, reassuring her and bringing that twinkle back into her purple eyes.

"Fantastic," she cried, clapping her hands together. "In that case, I'll be using the bathroom first."

Sam's eyes followed her until the door shut behind her and he shook his head, smiling at her gumption. He walked over, opened his bag to retrieve his laptop, and placed it on the table. It chimed when connected to the wifi and Sam began looking through his search engine for any weird happenings in the area.

WOMAN MURDERED, KIDS BROUGHT IN FOR QUESTIONING

MISSING DAD STILL NOT FOUND, LAST SEEN WITH CHILDREN

WOMAN SAYS BOYFRIEND ATTACKED FIRST AS SHE BLUDGEONED HIM WITH A SHOVEL

ANIMAL SHELTER ATTENDENT WITHOUT REMORSE FOR FIRE THAT KILLS ANIMALS INSIDE