0.1. E q u a n i m i t y

ˌekwəˈnɪməti

"a calm mental state when you deal with a difficult situation"

___________________

Prelude

I grew up reading Jane Austen novels. Much like Leighton Meester.

If you're into romance, you'd see that reality is as settled in Austen novels as courtship. Of course it helps that the heroes know exactly what to say, but, that's not it. What entices me the most about an Austen novel is the frivolity with which the heroine lives her life, as if she wasn't subjected to domesticity in 18th century England. It amazes me how the protagonists are always developed to equal one another before divulging into the promises of a lifetime together.

Which is what I usually try telling my clients when they come in seeking counselling for their collapsing marriage. Equality, communication and understanding a.k.a E.C.U, the three values of a successful marriage.

When I studied psychology, I didn't know I'd take up marriage counselling as an occupation, but with the rise in the number of crumbling marriages and the parallel growth of peoples' inability to let go of their pride and ego, it seemed like a life choice wherein I could easily earn myself a Royce, or two.

I was smart and I always took pride in my intellectual ability, which to my knowledge, is lacking considerably amongst the population today. Thus, I am blessed and prudent when it comes to life altering decisions.

Or so I thought.

Currently, lying next to a six-feet-one-inch hunk of a man in all my naked glory is not what I call prudent decision-making skills. Not when the so-called man is supposedly my nemesis.

Shutting my eyes and shaking my head at myself, I pried myself out of the arms of my bête noire. Having absolutely zero recollection of a one-night-stand and trampling your own vacation due to your actions is not what I had in mind on the third day of my all expenses-paid week long beach holiday.

If I didn't know any better, I was sure Zachery Henderson was following me to make my life miserable. It wouldn't have been a far-fetched thought considering he has been the divorce lawyer for my clients. More than once. This was gods way of entertaining them-self, in any other circumstance I would've put my game-face on, but this was my fucking vacation. My only chance at unwinding from the constant nagging of my mother and clients.

"You're awake."

I sighed at his gruff voice. Damn him for being one hot mess. Bracing myself for the inevitable, I turned around to look at Zachery, who was unabashedly plopped on his bed in semi-nudity, with one hand resting under his head.

"Kael." I greeted him with his middle-name, which I had learnt through a client who he had represented.

His eyes narrowed at me, but soon lost focus and travelled down my size. He looked at me with lust, his gaze was...unnerving, to say the least. I couldn't find my clothes in his room, so had managed to pick up the first garment that caught my hand, which happened to be his white shirt.

"I forgot how annoying you can be when I'm not fucking you."

My eyes snapped to Zachery's, and with the smirk gracing his face, I'm sure he could easily read my incredulous expression. Just another reason why I couldn't stand this man, his brazen words and insolent behaviour is something that no matter what, I will never be accustomed to.

Shooting a glare at him and not bothering to wait for anymore of his nonsense, I turned to leave. I didn't care if he was hot, he wasn't getting anything more from me.

"And where do you think you're going?"

Not bothering to answer him, I continued walking towards the living area where my clothes were scattered as though they were the clues holding together last night's debacle. Gathering my things together, I proceeded to wear my heels when I was manhandled and spun around to face the devil himself.

"I asked you a question, Kia."

I yanked my arm off his grip and scowled at his nickname for me.

"I'm leaving."

"If you think I'm going to let you leave this cottage after last night, you're mistaken."

I stared at his eyes which held a look of determination and scoffed at him. If he thought he could keep me here against my will, he was mistaken. I wasn't going to tolerate him or his bullshit by spending another minute here.

"I am leaving, Kael." I spoke up only for him to step closer towards me and firmly grip my waist. Before I could protest, he latched his lips onto my neck.

"How much do you remember?" Zachery mumbled while nibbling the side of my neck. I tilted my head to give him better access, my mind fogging up my memory due to his actions.

Leave, Kiara.

"S-stop..."

"How much do you remember, Kia?"

"Nothing," I managed to breath out as he laid kisses across my jaw. "I don't remember anything."

His grip on my waist tightened, pulling me further against his very naked body and his lips stopped at the corner of my mouth.

"I am going to show you exactly what I did to you, Kiara. And you're going to love every second of it."

And with that he crashed his lips into mine.

Hi,

So this is my first time writing chicklit and adult romance. I hope you guys give this story as much love as my other dialogue features.

Thank you,
Love,
Skye <3