1. M é t i e r

ˈmetieɪ/

ˈmetieɪ/

"The type of work that you are good at, or the subject that you most know about"

_____________________

For as long as I remember, California has been my safe haven. It was two states over from my hometown, and my mother.  But that definitely did not stop her from watching my every move or even complaining about not getting to see me in a white gown.

"I would think you'd at least find a suitable match for yourself by now." Her voice was hard to ignore, especially when it dripped with disappointment.

Her definition of suitable was possible someone who wore a tie everyday, asked me on multiple dates before straight away diving into a proposal and oh, he definitely had a house in some well known area, preferably Beverly Hills, or if I'm looking for a sugar daddy then Malibu works just fine too.

"I need to focus on my career, ma. It's important to me." I had lost the number of times I had tried to reason with her, tell her how difficult it was to complete my psychology degree with a first-class honors and how hard I had to work to just further become a marriage counsellor. I didn't even want to explain the woes of getting a license to practice my degree, we hadn't really reached that stage.

"Right, and how does that make you look mìja? A marriage counsellor without an esposo."

"Tengo que irme, hablaré despues."

Without another word, I hung up the phone. Sighing, I rested my head on the desk and took a deep breath. It's not like I didn't love my mother. I did, but she was so overbearing sometimes, especially since I turned 26.

"Mama troubles?"

I sat up and looked at Sierra, her red lips were curved into an amused smile and her curly black locks were tied in a messy bun.

I rolled my eyes at her amusement and sat up straight.

"Get me the file for my 2 'o' clock, please."

She squinted her eyes at me but refrained from saying anything and walked out. I was mentally exhausted after the inconclusive discussion that I had with my mother and with my mind which was preoccupied by the next client.

Mr. & Mrs. Dallas.

A smiled formed its way on my face as I read their file, they were one of the easier ones. The main problem they were experiencing was the lack of passion and intimacy, which is understandable since they had three young kids to feed and nurture. All they needed was a little push from someone to tell them they weren't falling apart and voila, nothing a couples retreat and some helpful counselling sessions can't solve.