Jasmine Scent

"Mistress!" A lady servant, gasping for breath, burst through Iris' doors while she was snipping roses' stems and decorating it in a vase.

Iris turned her head, annoyed from being interrupted in her alone time, and spat,

"What?"

"My Lady, the Lady Sylveris!"

"What's with that woman? Did she finally do me a favor and croaked?" Iris sarcastically spoke before continuing her flower arrangement.

"She's... She got attacked and is currently unconscious!" The servant annunciated and Iris immediately shot up from her seat.

"Is she really? What happened?"

"She was shot down by an arrow, my Lady, which was coated with a deadly poison! Rumors had it that she wouldn't last the week!" The servant sounded very worried and scared as her hands trembled.

Even if she was Iris' servant and was fed with lies everyday, she couldn't find it in her heart to hate the beautiful and kind lady. It was a secret she kept from Iris but she often went out, back when they were still at the dorms, to visit the Lady Sylveris' crash course of making sweets.

And in there, she couldn't see the monster her mistress painted her to be. She was nothing but a beautiful and brilliant soul.

"Help me get dressed. I shall go and send my deepest sympathies." She declared and left her unfinished flower arrangement.

The servant followed as she was ordered and helped her mistress change. Maybe, she could also go and check the Lady Sylveris' condition.

Goddesses, please help Lady Sylveris.

...

As soon as Iris arrived, she found Leon walking around the corridor beside the garden aimlessly. He seemed deep in his thoughts and his eyes looked glazed.

"Lord Raiona?" She called.

Leon jolted and turned to Iris distractedly before focus returned to his eyes and finally registered Iris in his drifting mind.

"Lady Latifolia." He bowed.

Even as he talked to her, he didn't seem as enthusiastic as before. It seemed as if he was physically there but mentally somewhere.

"I've thought about what you said, my Lord. I think that you're right. I should gather my courage to tell his highness what the Lady has done to me.

I only ask that Lord Raiona helps me get close to his highness. I don't know why but these days, it is especially hard to even see his highness let alone get close to him. Will you help me, my Lord?"

She then looked up to him in a pitiful way with tears pooling at the corner of her eyes. She knew Leon always fell for this trick. No matter how many times.

"Lady Latifolia, what are you talking about? Haven't you heard what happened to Lady Adira? His highness is very distressed right now."

"Precisely because I heard what happened to the Lady Sylveris! Now is the time, my Lord! Without her bewitching his highness' mind, he'll be able to think objectively!"

Leon pondered for a while and stared at the determination flashing brightly on this lady's face. She was intransigent about her decision to go talk to the prince.

He nodded his head after a while and relief and happiness broke out into Iris' face. He led her around the palace and to the prince's room where Adira lay.

On the way, he suddenly asked her something.

"Lady Latifolia, do you remember the night of his highness' birthday, your hairpin was dirtied and you asked me for help?"