Chapter 1

"We are getting late to the CME programme .Will u please hurry up? " said Ritika in an impatient tone. Her friend Diya was typing the discharge summary of a patient who was admitted for appendicectomy. 

"I'm almost done Ritu, just give me a minute and we both can leave", Diya told her best friend Ritika  who was biting her lips and looking at her watch with a frown on her face. Diya knew that her friend would catch hold of her and literally drag her down the surgery ward if she didn't go  immediately.

"Ritu, why are you so interested to attend the CME today? Last week's topic was much better and yet you chose to skip that day." she asked Ritika, even though she very well knew the answer. 

"Because today's topic is about Road Traffic Accidents and First Aid. Every doctor has to know about first aid .It's as simple as that ."she told Diya . When she took her eyes off her watch and looked at Diya ,she could see that Diya had a mischievous smile on her lips.

Ritika was pursuing  her MBBS in SDS medical college in Bangalore and  was in her internship.She, along with her best friend Diya were  in General surgery postings for the past one month .Both Ritika and Diya were good students and had secured decent percentage for their final year exams and worked really hard during their house surgeoncy. They completed 5 months of their internship and had 7 more months to go before becoming a "real doctor" and were thoroughly enjoying it. They both found internship ,by far the best period of their MBBS.

Oh my god ,this girl can read my face like a book. Am I that transparent? Ritika bit her lips.

"What !? Why are looking at me like that? I'm telling the  you truth Di". said Ritika,her tone lacking the conviction that she would have wanted.

"Ok . So  it's not because Dr .Abhiram, our very efficient Emergency medicine Post graduate is giving the talk . Are you sure?"asked Diya who was very well aware of the fact that Ritika had a major crush on Dr.Abhiram.  

Abhiram was what one could call every girl's fantasy. With his six foot frame and brooding looks ,female attention was nothing new to him.He often felt uncomfortable when girls giggled past him some of them would shamelessly flirt with him.Dodging their advances had become almost a daily routine. He was regarded as the most eligible bachelor by his colleagues and teachers alike but he always felt that it was too much of an exaggeration.

Abhiram and Ritika were acquainted from their childhood because their parents were family friends. They were not very close friends but were always there to help each other out whenever necessary. Abhiram would always give her valuable advice about what books to buy and how to prepare for exams etc.

 Ritika secretly admired Abhiram but never told him or anyone else for that matter . It was only recently that her friend Diya confronted her after she was caught staring at Abhiram in the Students library. Ritika's feelings for him ran quite deep than she gave credit for.But being the shy person that she was, she made a conscious effort to not let her feelings show.Sometimes she wondered why they weren't closer.Was it because she was wary of her own heart? Or was it because Abhiram chose to  stay away? She didn't quite know.

From being a lanky ,slightly temperamental  teenager to  the confident  and  hot Emergency Medicine post graduate ,Abhiram had come a long way. Ritika had witnessed his  evolution from very close quarters  and was proud of  having him as her friend.But what she adored about him was the way he treated girls.He never misbehaved with girls and always treated them with respect. His smile that lit up his face made her go weak at her knees  each time she saw him smiling.

"Diya, it's not only about Ram every time. Today's CME is going to be really good and Ram is talking for only 5 minutes OK. Most of the talk is going to be delivered by Dr Shareef. Does that satisfy your curiosity?He messaged me today morning about the details of the CME. Now can we just make a move?"

Ritika  never addressed Abhiram with his full name.She had always called him 'Ram' despite the 4 year age gap between them.

Diya handed over the discharge summary print out to her male colleague and  both she and Ritika almost ran out of the ward. Taking the flight of steps downstairs they reached ground floor where many doctors ,post graduates and interns were seen walking along the corridor towards the lecture hall where weekly CMEs (Continuing Medical Edication) were held. 

" From what I see, Dr AB has many lady fans Ritu". Diya  teased her friend when she saw that more girls than boys there. Diya always pulled Ritika's legs about Abhiram.RItika just rolled her eyes and both of them sauntered into the lecture hall.

In five minutes, Abhiram and Dr Shareef, the Professor Head of Emergency medicine entered the hall.He spotted RIitka sitting at the second row itself and gave her a friendly smile. Ritika's cheeks flamed and she felt thankful that some of the lights in the room were put off a few minutes ago so that the screen infront of them would be visible.She didn't want to look like a besotted teenager. 

The programme began and Dr Shareef  addressed tha gathering .He gave a brief overview of the case that would be presented.

 "Now I would like to invite our first year post graduate , Dr Abhiram onto the dias to give details about the head injury case", said Dr Shareef and handed over the mic to Abhiram. 

Diya nudged Ritika with her elbows and started giggling . 

"Stop Giggling Diya ,or I shall pinch you". Ritika warned her softly.

"Here is a patient by name , Mr .Suresh .."  Abhiram started speaking and gave details about the head injury case and how it was treated in the Emergency Room( Casualty). Then there was discussion about the case along with a question and answer session that involved heads of various Departments  and other doctors gave their inputs about the case.  Questions were directed to both  Dr Shareef and Abhiram. Abhiram answered to most of the questions with confidence and Dr Shareef took the questions that ABhiram couldn't answer.

"Was it good Ritu?". Abhiram  asked Ritika and Diya after the CME got over. He knew that Ritika would give him an  honest answer and not like some other girls who try to impress him .He felt comfortable with her and appreciated the fact that she didn't make him feel like a stud.

"You are super". Diya exclaimed.

" Thank you". Abhiram smiled and then looked at Ritika ,waiting for her answer.

" You were very good Ram except for those tough questions which u couldn't answer and I dont think anybody expects a first year post graduate (PG)  to know those answers. What did Dr Shareef say? Was he happy with your answers?" Ritika was happy for him and  most importantly , she was delighted that he had first  asked her opinion about his  presentation.

"Dr Shareef is satisfied but he has asked me to go through the case again , make a report and submit by next monday." Abhiram replied looking straight into her eyes.

"Oh OK".Ritika said, feeling slightly breathless due to his proximity.

Abhiram took out a box from his from his coat pocket and handed it to her.

"A medical representative gave it to me.It's a set of Shaeffer fountain pens, too good to be wasted on me". 

Ritika opened the box and there were two pens in it.

"Wow! Thank you so much Ram." Ritika loved stationery and was overjoyed when he gave it to her.

"Actually,you both can have one each". Abhiram said , smiling at Ritika whose face now looked like a kid who was given her favourite lollipop.

"Thank you Sir". Diya smiled at him and pocketed one of the two pens.

"Ok Ritu, My friends are waiting for me in the canteen. Catch u later." Abhiram  bid them a goodbye and strode away in style.

"You are going to have a sleepless night today Ritu.I thought you were going to ask him for an autograph". Diya chuckled.

"Please!! Why will I ask him for an autograph? He is my friend and have known him all my life". Ritika  waved her hand in dismissal.

"You know what, if looks could drain someone's blood, he would be severely anemic by now".

"What?" Ritika's nose wrinkled. " I have never heard such a comparison till now".

**************************