Chapter 10

Abhiram was tired but he got into  the lift and pressed the button to first floor. The ICU complex was in the first floor adjacent to the operation theaters and post operative wards.He stepped out of the lift and walked towards the ICU complex. The watchman infront of the ICU main door was shouting at a middle aged man.

" Look ,there are visiting hours here in the ICU. You cannot barge in here at whatever time you want.Come at  8'o clock in the morning."

"Will you let me in ?"  The watchman turned around and saw Abhiram smiling at him. The watchman grinned at him sheepishly.

"Anytime sir".

Abhiram removed his footwear and put on the rubber slippers and walked into the stepdown ICU. The stepdown ICU  provides  a moderate level of care for patients somewhere between that of the general ward and the intensive care unit.

She seemed to be  unmistakably upset about something. What can it be?, he thought to himself. He gave a quick glance around  and momentarily spotted Rupa jotting down something in a case sheet. Her usually perfect hair looked disheveled, signs of overworking he thought.

"Busy dear? he spoke into her ear. She was so startled she dropped her pen.A nurse who was standing some distance away giggled at them.Abhiram felt irritated at that nurse.

"Gosh! I'm sorry I did that. You alright?" Abhiram's eyes narrowed.
Her eyes were damp . Had she been crying?

"Do I look like I'm alright Abhi? "She was on the verge of tears.

"Come outside . We shouldn't be disturbing the patients. " Abhiram took hold of her hands and walked out of the ICU into the corridor.

"Tell me what's wrong? Why are you crying? Is it me again? Did I do something?"

Rupa wiped her tears away and recounted what Dr Sudheer told her a while ago.

"He is a pervert and you know that. He always tries to make unwanted advances towards his PGs and nurses too. Don't you realise that he is trying to mess up with your head. You have to ignore him Rupa for your own good."He tried to ease her mental agony but in vain.

He was still holding her hands in his own and continued to speak.

"I can't believe he spoke to a PG like this.  Actually you know what , I'm not surprised. I really don't know how his wife tolerates him . He is an ugly jerk Rupa ." He pressed her hands reassuringly and wiped her tears away from her cheeks.

"It's not about him Abhi. I can handle him but why should I listen to all the crap he tells? He thinks you are a flirt . He kept telling that you spend a lot of time in Ritika's company and I don't like it.  I don't like it a bit."

"What's that moron's problem?Why is he discussing our personal life with you?Has he tried to be inappropriate to you? What does he get from meddling in a PGs love life?Tell me Rupa, I will complain to the Superintendent."

"I don't want you to talk to Ritika anymore.Why are you spending so much time with her?". Rupa asked him bitterly

Abhiram let out a harsh breath.

"She is my friend Rupa.She is posted to the ER.I can stop talking to her if  you want .But that won't solve the problem right. Today it is about Ritika,tomorrow it will be about some other girl. Too much of insecurity is toxic in any relationship."

"Why do you want to spoil our relationship for the sake of that girl Abhi?"

"You don't understand what I'm trying to tell you.You need to trust me Rupa"