Chapter 11

It was night of disturbed sleep for Abhiram.He was sleep deprived for most of the days ever since he joined as a post graduate in Emergency Medicine.But yesterday was different,sleep had eluded him for a long time.He kept tossing and turning  in his bed before  finally falling asleep, only to be rudely awakened again by a horrible nightmare.Well nightmares are horrible.

He got out of his bed and went to the bathroom. Not bad for a doctor , he thought staring at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He had to bend down a little to look at himself properly because he was quite tall. His room mate was a short person and insisted that the mirror be fitted at that particular height.  His stubble covered the scar on  his right cheek.The scar was a constant reminder of a minor accident in his childhood, he had fallen from his cycle and a sharp piece of metal lying on the road injured his cheek causing severe bleeding.It left a scar that now attracted a lot of attention from his female colleagues. Not that they didn't find his other attributes  attractive. For instance ,he was fitter than most of his colleagues but what really stood out were his eyes and smile which complemented each other when he smiled. Even his recent dark circles couldn't  hide the effect of his radiant smile on girls.

He didn't have time for a shave so he quickly finished his bath, put on his white shirt and beige pants and headed for the ER. He was late and couldn't afford to have his breakfast.

Ritika  on the other hand didn't like skipping her meals. She gobbled up her breakfast and on her way to the ER she bought a couple of Snickers from the canteen and stuffed them into her coat pocket. I can have it at 11 o'clock she thought merrily.

It hadn't got really busy at the ER  yet and Ritika took out her novel which she had bought from blossom book house. It was a decent place to buy used books.She was into the 20th chapter  where the hero was asking the heroine for a kiss when she was suddenly interrupted.

 "Can you give me that Ritu?" She felt a shiver ran down her spine when she heard Abhiram's voice.She was clueless about what he wanted. 

"Gi..Give you what?".She stuttered.

"Snickers.I think I saw snickers in your pocket.I'm terribly hungry. Can't you hear my stomach groaning?I missed my breakfast today Ritu." Abhiram pouted and pointed to his tummy.

Ritika felt stupid.What am I even thinking? I have gone nuts I'm sure . Why is he pouting?

"Here , take it." Ritika gave him the snickers.   

"I can't function if I don't eat food. I don't understand how you manage to work with an empty stomach Ram."

He shrugged and then took a generous bite.

"Usually girls skip meals ,don't they? You are angry  you skip food, you are sad,again skip food."

"Well ,I'm not like that.And don't generalise the issue.Not all girls are like that Ok. I loooo...ve food."

"I can see that". He looked at her as if he was scanning her.

Ritika felt embarrassed at what Abhiram was trying to imply.Was that him trying to tell her she was needed to lose some weight? Or was she making a mountain out of a mole hill?

She caught him laughing now and felt her cheeks flush.

"Ram, you are so rude." She gave him a friendly punch on his shoulders. "Actually you know what, I don't care". She then strode out of the room  to the nursing station.

She lied to him. She was hurt.He had called her fat! Well not literally.But he implied at it.Anyway what difference does it make ,she thought.

Abhiram regretted what he said. shouldn't have said that .I called my friend and one of the prettiest girls in this campus fat.Wonder how many boys are after her. Boys must be proposing to her all the time and Iook at what I told her. I shouldn't have skipped the breakfast.Hypoglycemia is getting to me. Let me eat this snickers first. And then I should apologise, he made up his mind.