Chapter 8

Ritika  reached the  hostel room after the hectic day. Diya, her room mate and best friend was already waiting for her in the room.

"Ritu! finally you are here. How was the day? Look what I have got for us, chicken biriyani!! I'm ravenous Ritu. Go get  freshened up and come soon".Diya's eyes twinkled in glee.

 Diya  had ready taken out the plates from the cupboard and washed them.They usually preferred going out to have food .Very rarely did they order food to the hostel room. 

Ritu bent down to sniff at the biriyani packet.

 "Mmm, it smells delicious .Hope it tastes good. I'm so hungry that I can eat an entire chicken myself ."  Ritika  was a foodie and never tried to be modest about her eating habits. She was well nourished and didn't believe in the idea of size zero that seemed to be trending.

Ritika changed into her T shirt and pyjamas and joined Diya for her dinner.

"Woww!! this biriyani is incredible Di ,worth the price right?"Ritika spoke with her mouth full.

"Eat slowly Ritu and don't speak with a full mouth. Anyone who sees you now would think you have been starving for an entire week." Diya served Ritika some more raitha.

"So how was your day? Did you get to do anything substantial in the ER other than ogling at Dr Abhiram?".  Diya liked to irritate Ritika because she knew her friend had got over her earlier crush on Abhiram.

"Diya, I'm warning you , If you taunt me once again I swear I'm going to pour this raitha over your head". Ritika lifted the raitha bowl up from the table.

"Ok then I  shall wait for you to finish eating  before making fun of you".Diya said playfully.

"Diya,something happened today, and as much as I would like to remove it from my head ,it keeps popping up infront of my eyes. And I don't know if i should tell you that".Ritika lowered her voice.

"Hmm sounds interesting. Is it about Abhiram? Did you see him naked?" Diya suddenly felt a stinging sensation on her forearm, her friend was pinching her.

"It's not funny anymore Diya". Diya understood that her friend was really upset.

"Ok listen, I saw Rupa and Ram kissing in the ER doctors' room and I can't put it out of my head. The worst part is that Ram and me haven't talked after that episode and he seems to be quite uncomfortable when I'm around.I feel like holding his hands and telling him it's alright and to stop fretting over it."

By the time she finished talking Diya's mouth was wide open and her hand clasped over her mouth.

"Is he mad or what ? In the ER? !! I mean anyone could've walked inside. It could've been Dr Shareef of all people".Diya shook her head  in total disbelief.

"Diya,I have never known Ram to be so reckless . But people change don't they? what should I do Diya?"

"Why are you bothered Ritu? Don't break your head over such things. He is the one who should feel embarrassed right?" Diya tried to offer her friend some comfort.

"That is exactly what I'm trying to tell you. I'm sure he is shocked at his behaviour. I just want him to be normal with me. How do I tell him that without embarrassing him?"

"Hmm, okay . Do one thing Ritu. Just see how he behaves with you tomorrow morning. If he is back to his normal self then fine. If not,the best way is to tell him directly . Just tell him that you are his friend and   he need not feel awkward about what has happened" .Diya looked at Ritika's downcast face and continued, " You really like him don't you Ritu? He's lucky to have a friend like you."

"Of course I like him Diya. And I want him to be happy."

They  finished eating and went out for a walk. 

                                    **********************

"Abhi, will she  tell everyone what happened today morning?" Rupa kept prodding Abhiram.They were sitting together in the mess and having dinner. Post graduates had a common hostel as well as a common mess. Rupa and Abhiram had dinner together most of the days.

"No ,she won't. She is not a gossip monger . But she might tell Diya. Why are you so worried if she would tell anyone ? You were marking your territory today morning weren't you? And are you really embarrassed that everyone will know?". Abhiram was in a foul mood and for good reason too. He sensed that Rupa was not really affected. She was in fact happy that Ritika got to see them in action. But she was clearly feigning her distressed look and that  fuelled Abhiram's anger even more.

"Ok.Mmm ,Did you know that the college fest is not going to happen this year?The management is going to be busy with the superspeciality hospital construction apparently."

"Ohh.That's a bummer!" Abhiram clicked his tongue disapprovingly. "But you are happy ,aren't you? No question of me dancing with anyone." Abhiram told her in a sarcastic tone.

Rupa rolled her eyes.

"Abhi , I have to go home this weekend. My school get together is on this sunday "

"Enjoy". Abhiram replied without looking at her.

"Will you miss me?". Rupa moved closer to him and whispered into his ears.

Abhiram didn't answer.A vein throbbed at his temple.

"Why are you still in a sour mood?Why aren't you talking anything?" Rupa kept pestering him.

"Rupa , I'm seriously not in a romantic mood today and my head is throbbing .Hopefully I will be back to my usual self by tomorrow. It's just that I'm angry with myself more than anything else and I want to spend some time alone . Is it OK If  I leave?"

"Yeah Ok Abhi . You carry on." Rupa said cheerfully . Abhiram shot one glance at her and hurried out of the  hostel mess .

                                            *********************************

hello friends!

how did you like today's chapter? pls do give me you feedback.