Chapter Eight: Ciaran

I was listening to this track while I was writing chapter 8 & 9 ----->

*  *  *  *  *

I took Ruari to my favorite French restaurant. Thank the spirits I'm well known on these parts. It didn't matter that I have no reservation or that we came in wearing semi-casual clothes. The maître d' courteously met us by the door once he learned of my arrival and escorted us to a private booth away from prying eyes before leaving us with the menu.

I was surprised to learn that Ruari speaks French fluently. I scored a point choosing this place because he seemed to like the ambience. After selecting the wine, appetizer and main course the waiter silently left.

"What?" He asked a bit annoyed and I realized I've been staring.

"Sorry," I apologized snapping out of my trance. "It's just that you're full of surprises. And I can't wait to uncover more of your secrets."

He glared at me for a full minute. I guess he was trying to intimidate me but I just found it adorable. He gave up with an exasperated sigh before taking a sip of his wine.

"I have no secrets Ciaran."

"I beg to differ," I said leaning close to take a whiff of his scent. "Your thoughts, your actions; everything about you is a secret to me. I intend to unravel you Ruari. I intend to know all of you."

I looked deeply into his mismatched eyes. One is the exotic shade of the forest and the other is that of the sea with a gold ring in the middle. And right now, he's looking back at me like he could see through my very soul. I like it that he's not afraid to meet me eye to eye, that he doesn't avert his gaze from mine. It makes me feel like we're equals even though I know that in some ways he's more superior than me.

I took the hand that he had resting over the table in mine and ran my thumb on his wrist feeling his pulse skip. He didn't pull back and I took that as a good sign. I reveled in the feel of his skin beneath my fingers, enjoying the magical shocks shooting from his skin to mine.

I was playing with fire. I was starting to get aroused and so was he. I could sense him and I know he could sense me. I know I have to take it slow. Everything inside of me is screaming to take it slow. Even Keiron is holding his breath waiting for what would happen next.

The last time I touched him intimately I ended up in the doghouse. I don't want him to distance himself from me any more than he already have. I want us to always stay like this, close and touching. Intimate.

"Ruari, I..."

"I have to make a call." He said successfully cutting me off, pulling his hand away from mine.

I whimpered at the loss of contact. I know. I'm pathetic when it comes to him.

"Now?" I asked not bothering to hide my disappointment.

I was desperate for him to stay. We were having a moment. The moment. I'm not dumb not to notice he's only making an excuse to get away from me, from what we're having or about to have. He's trying to step back and it hurts to know that he's choosing to do that when he could step forward, towards me.

"Yes, now."

I sighed and watched him walk away. I buried my face on my shaking hands, raking my fingers through my hair, resisting the urge to flip the damn table.

 Follow him! Keiron urged clawing at me.

No. I answered trying my best to ignore him.

He might run away again! He whined.

He won't. I said tiredly. He just needs time and space to think.