Side Story: Marked (Kevan x Lorcan)

There are things the mind knows but the heart would never understand, that the heart could easily comprehend but the mind would never make out. Desiring something you shouldn't and wanting what you cannot have are two different things, the line in between is so blurred it's often misconstrued.

Love. Happiness. Only people like my brother are lucky enough to find and have those in a lifetime. For the rest of us, those are nothing but tragedies waiting to happen.

Pain is inevitable. I learned that lesson the hard way and I would not allow myself to be placed on such a vulnerable position again.

I never meant to go back. When I left Moonscape to help smoothen out Ruari's accession to the throne I was determined to stay away, to forget. There'd be nothing but heartache in the end of all this so why bother and set myself up for pain?

They all leave, eventually. No matter what they say or do when it comes down to choosing between shackling themselves with a baggage or freedom to do what they will, everyone always choose to shed the unwanted weight. And my so-called 'mate' would be no  different. I don't just think so, I know so.

It's been three days since we arrived, two more and I'm home free. I don't know how Ruari talked me into staying this long. We agreed that I'd escort him to Moonscape and then I'd travel back to court and see to everything while he's away. But for some unexplainable reason my brother managed to con me into staying for his and Ciaran's official mating ceremony. The ritual will be held this coming full moon.

The high council have been busy working together with the pack for the ritual. No one wants to be left out in all the preparations and no detail is too small. Everyone wants this mating ritual to be memorable for both the alpha and the alpha king.

Next month Ciaran would be coming to court and Ruari would officially proclaim him as the royal consort. There'd be preparations for that ceremony as well and since I'd be acting as my brother's stewards while he's away, the responsibilities fall upon my shoulders to make sure the announcement goes on without a hitch.

Replacing the members of the high council was a good move on Ruari's part. Now there's no more confusion on how the high council functions and why it was originally founded. And I have to say, the new members now sitting on the council are more than worthy of the trust given to them by the new alpha king.

At first I was afraid Ruari would balk at pressure but he proved himself more than reliable. And in just a short time he amassed a huge amount of support not just from the royals but from the packs as well. Although sometimes I feel like he's taking on too much. He's been through a lot in his life and what I want for him right now would be a happy and peaceful life. Perhaps a few weeks for himself, just to enjoy the scenery, to be free. I think Ciaran could give him that.

Ciaran and I have come to standstill. I still haven't fully forgiven him for what he and his pack did to my brother but I even a cynic like me could easily see that Ruari is only truly happy when he's around Ciaran.

"Kevan, do you know where Sorell is?" Bran asked while I'm on my way to my room. "He was supposed to come with me to the city to get some supplies but I can't seem to find anywhere."

"He's probably hiding out in Ciaran's workshop. They brought in another junk yesterday so I'm sure he'd be there trying to ply off the rust from that garbage."

Sorell had always been passionate about cars and was ecstatic when he found out that Ciaran restores them. Coincidently, some of the council members have the same hobby so the lot of them have been having secret meetings in Ciaran's workshop to talk about cars, engines and stuff. Personally, I don't see anything fun about trying to revive an already dying engine and getting yourself covered in grease and grime. But hey, we all have quirks.