Chapter Thirty-Six: Ciaran

Bran and Sorell groaned awake a few minutes after Ruari left with Kevan.

The pack warriors outside of the house immediately linked with me when Ruari told them he and Kevan were going alone for a run. I commanded them to stand down and let them leave. At the same time to be prepared for anything just in case something about this set up goes wrong.

I don't trust Kevan and I'm sure the same goes for him in regards to me. But we both want the same thing, to protect Ruari. I just hope that my situation with him would improve given time like it did with Jean. I'm not hoping for a full reconciliation but I hope we could at least tolerate each other's presence in the future, not just for Ruari's sake but for Lorcan's as well.

"He's yours." I turned to my beta. It wasn't a question but a statement of fact.

"Alpha I..."

"No need to explain." I answered cutting him off. "I would have thought less of you if you had reacted any different than you did. It's a mate's job to protect his partner when someone threatens him, regardless of who."

Lorcan still looked rueful but I understand his confusion. He's Kevan's mate but he is also the beta of Moonscape. With this new development his loyalties are currently divided. He respects me and Ruari as his pack leaders but it is difficult to hold back when your mate needs to be protected, all sense and reason just flies out the window.

Personally, I feel sorry for Lorcan because clearly I got the better and good looking twin but I'm happy that he's found the other half of himself, the only person in the world who'd complete him. The situation is a bit complicated for now and I'm sure Lorcan would have a very tough time dealing with Kevan but we'll figure this out, somehow.

Harkin and Prior are still eyeing each other warily but they haven't tried to go for a second round at tearing each other's throat out so for now everything is well and good.

"Where's Kevan?" Sorell asked shaking his head, probably to ward off the dizziness he was feeling.

"Out with Ruari," I answered.

He nodded and went back to nursing his sore head.

"Son of a bitch," Bran cussed without venom holding his own head between his hands. "Alpha really should learn how to control his strength."

I smirked and eyed the damage done to the room. There were a lot of broken pieces of glass scattered on the floor, the african blackwood table would have to be replaced and part of the floor and wall where Ruari slammed Bran and Sorell would have to be repaired. Actually, now that think about it the council room would have to be renovated for it to be useable again.

I laughed out loud and sat on one of the chairs that survived the whirlwind that was my mate. Ruari's been so keen on keeping peace and keeping everyone in check he didn't even realize the havoc he was wreaking and the damage he was creating.

With that, my thoughts tuned to Ruari's. He kept his promise and did not stray too far from the pack house. He and Kevan are now by the lake after burning off some steam by running close to the borders of the pack lands.

I ran a hand through my hair and closed my eyes enjoying the calming presence of him on my mind.

Kevan's appearance is an added complication to our already complex situation. And if my suspicions were correct, more wolves would come to seek out Ruari. Some would be after his life while others would look to him for guidance.

Ruari is meant for greater things. It's become clearer now that if this situation heads to where I think it would, his decisions and choices would a have great impact on a lot of lives. As for now, I don't think he even realize just how important his existence is to the werewolf community. But Ruari is not the type to shirk responsibilities so I'd have to be prepared for anything.