EP 10: TOW TRUCKS ARE NOT FRIENDS

EPISODE 10

'tow trucks are not friends'

LEON'S CAR BROKE down five miles from Cavendish' Manor. His tires at the back were both flat.

"What... the Jesus..." he muttered as I squatted carefully on the muddy road, pulling out a long, thin metal pin of some sort from one of the tires. When I pressed down on the wheel, it had more holes than one.

"Sabotage," I muttered. "But why would Cavendish do something like this?" I looked up, curious, but Leon's expression looked so pissed, it was waving out of him like heat. I pressed my mouth together. His expression was enough of a comedy skit.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, bringing his fingers together to create an enclosed triangle, before opening his eyes again and smiling. "I hate him. I hate him so much. Pulling dirty tricks... what age is he? Seven?"

I blinked. "I'm going to be honest, but something about this situation makes me want to laugh."

He dropped his forced smile. "Don't laugh. I beg of you."

I smiled instead. "Then what should we do now?"

"I need my sister."

So he called Cordelia and put her on speaker. We told her about what happened in a way that I tried to speak clearly about the events that transpired while Leon added his angrier inputs at the reminder of the meeting. A few times, he had muttered in Korean, profanity I presume, because his sister kept calling him out for it.

"So... let me get this straight," she said in the end. "You're both stuck in the middle of nowhere and you see nothing but fields?"

"Because Cavendick put bloody pins on my bloody wheels," Leon added heatedly.

"Alright. I'll send someone to pick you guys up as well as the car. Where are you precisely?"

Leon turned to me. I shrugged. "We're not sure," he answered. "We've gone pretty farther than I would say two punctured wheels could endure. Which is a miracle in itself."

"Why don't you hike forward by a mile and look for a sign? Leave the phone to Wendy."

"What? Why would - "

"Please?"

We turned to each other. Again, I shrugged.

Leon exhaled. Then pouted. "If you want to talk to her without me, you could just say so you know."

A hint of a smile in her voice. "What a smart, baby brother."

A solid minute of silence as literally Leon walked away, Cordelia asked, "Is he far enough?"

"I suppose so?"

"I need a bit more than that, Wendy."

"Yes, he's far enough that he won't hear. But what's this about?"

"I did the tires. Well, I asked Milo to order his staff to puncture the tires."

My brain blanked out. "Why?"

"Well, let me be more clear about this, huh?" Cordelia sounded both tired and agitated. "Dominic ordered me to tell Milo to order his staff to puncture the tires. He knew you wouldn't be able to meet with Cavendish without me, that's one. When I asked him why the hell would I puncture my little brother's precious car - one he adores so much, he barely uses it apart from the occasional stroll, and only on streets he knows are safe - and he said, and I quote, 'Romantic opportunity?'"