The Next Step

I need to find Reed. You thought as you watched the twins idly walk around your room. But they won't leave me alone.

You thought about the poor child. How was he dealing with Micah's...Micah's...You winced.

"Is something wrong dear?" Connor asked as he glanced at you.

You shook your head quickly, "No. I'm fine I just have to..." You stood up and walked over to the bathroom and quickly shut the door, needing a moment to yourself.

You sank to the ground against it. You needed to get them away, but how. You glanced around the bathroom.

Think like Micah...He knew how to use his environment...

You slowly stood up and examined every inch of the bathroom. No idea came to mind.

"(Y/n)? Are you okay in there?" Aiden asked from the other room.

"I'm fine." You called.

~~~~

"I thought you didn't have a lie that would cover up everything." Aiden said as he sat on the bed.

"It was a spur of the moment decision. She can't check for a 'mysterious southern poison' and it lines up with his wounds." Connor scoffed as he looked at the fire.

"Smart." Aiden grinned and looked out the window.

~~~~

You walked back to the vanity and stared into the mirror.

You looked...bad. It was like a ghost version of yourself.

How much has all of this affected me...You thought as you reached out and touched the mirror.

I wish I was back in the village. I wish I was hanging out with Nadia and Alex. I wish I was cooking with mom. I wish I was picking berries with dad...Your eyes widened for a moment. That was it.

You bent down and opened the cabinet, pulling the small pouch of berries out.

Bezaberries. They induce severe nausea. You glanced at yourself in the mirror once more. It just might work.

Slowly, you opened the door and shuffled back out into the room.

"U-Um..." You started as you looked at the ground, hiding the berries behind your back.

"What's wrong?" Connor asked as he looked up at you.

"W-well...Um...Micah, he snuck out into the village for me once and brought me back some snacks from the garden." You glanced up at them to see their expressions harden. "B-But! I don't want to hide anything from you, a-and you've been so kind and have shown me tons of things about to you...I wanted to show you something that's about me." You held out the pouch of berries.

"Berries?" Aiden inquired as he came up to you.

You nodded and forced a smile, "Yup! We use them in pastries all the time in the village."

Connor walked over and looked into the pouch, "What are they called?"

"B....Bonumberries!" You glanced away and cringed internally.

"I've never heard of them..." Aiden murmured as he picked one up and examined it.

You smiled, "A secret of the village. Only my parents and a few others grow them."

They both nodded as they looked at the berries in their hands.

"Well? Let's try them!" You picked up one and held it up to your mouth.