Confessions

Izzy led me towards the main table that had been brought out. People started to gather around for the cake cutting ceremony. Uncle EJ and Ammi Jaan came and stood on either side of us as I grabbed the knife. The navy blue ribbon swiveled in my hands as I waited for the clock to strike 12. Izzy placed his hand on mine and gave me a wide smile. Our happiness echoed around the room. The atmosphere was filled with euphoric vibes.

The black chocolate cake was a two-tiered cake with hints of gold lines on the surface. The names Izzy and Eli were placed on a separate stand in italics. A single large candle burned in the darkness. The pictures were going to turn out great. People shifted, talking amongst themselves as they waited for midnight.

"... 10,9,8" Rania began looking at her phone. I looked around the room. Family and friends all gathered under one roof. All of us safe, happy and together.
"6,5..." Hania joined in and the crowd started to chant with her. Salaar edged closer to get a better look. I giggled and looked up at my partner in crime.
"...3,2" Izzy muttered in my ear.
"1," I said my eyes meeting Zaroon's. He smiled as the clock struck 12. The loud gong echoed in the air and cheers erupted from the people around us. More streamers and confetti fell around us but my eyes were on him, just like his eyes were on me.

"Happy Birthday!" Izzy and I cut the cake together amidst love and cheers. With the background of applause, both Uncle EJ and Ammi Jaan fed us a slice of cake.

"You outdid yourself Rania... thank you!" I said giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "The party was amazing" She smiled her eyes tired but happy.
"Did you have fun?"
"Oh so much" I answered looking at her finding that I really was going to miss her.
"What?" She said giving me a strange look.
"Nothing... just, I love you" she groaned and stepped away as I tried to muss up her hair.
"Sappy you is worse than angry you" I laughed at her declaration.

We stood outside, saying goodbye to the remaining guests. It wasn't extremely late, just around two, but I could not forget that Ferozeuddin would be arriving at noon. I needed to get to bed. We all did, I amended as I looked at Izzy, Hania and Uncle EJ. Ammi Jaan had excused herself after the cake cutting and was now sound asleep. At least one of us would be well-rested.

"So... how was the dance with the Major?" Hania said coming to stand beside me. I blushed and tried to keep my voice steady.
"He's a good dancer," I said.
"Oh we saw," she said her voice full of mirth. Apparently she was over whatever had been bothering her before. I decided not to ask. Rania saved me by excusing herself.
"Thank you for helping Rania... it means a lot"
"It was my husbands birthday too... so" the unexpected bite in her tone threw me off. "But it wasn't a problem," she said her voice returning to her usual tone.
"Ready?" Izzy asked. I nodded.
"Ready for what?" Hania muttered her eyes on him.
"These two have a ritual, they also celebrate their birthday together, away from everyone else," Uncle EJ said placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.
"Ever since he came here," I said, shivering. Izzy smiled and shrugged off his coat to place it on my shoulders.
"Let's go," he said. "Bye," he called to Hania giving her a brief hug. She gave him a weak smile.
"Goodnight... see you in the morning," I said to Uncle EJ. "I loved the horse, I'm naming her Duchess" he laughed.
"That's quite a name," he said as we moved away.

"Hurry up!"
"Well, it's hard to do so considering I'm wearing a gown" I hissed. Izzy rolled his eyes and reached forward to pull me up.

We were on our spot on one of main columns that overlooked the city. It glittered underneath us, the lights glinting in the darkness. Thank God it was a nook so the wind wouldn't freeze us to death. We already had our supplies stashed there, blankets, hand warmers, jackets and socks. Over the years we had smuggled in a cupboard to keep all the stuff in. Since it was nook, covered from 3 sides, the climate hadn't affected the place.