Magic happens when I see you

Hussein rushed to greet him, his gaze open, his face tense. Rania walked over to my side, a fake smile stuck to her face. Dressed in a fitted black suit, he seemed to be part of the wedding party.

"I didn't know he was going to be here"

"Oh calm down Rania, and you! You're acting like you've seen a ghost," Feroze muttered amusedly. I glared at him.

"You're enjoying this way too much," he smiled.

"And for good reason. I've never seen you so rattled," we watched him walk towards us. "Nice to see you, Major," Feroze greeted, moving forward. I, however, kept my expression stoic. Zaroon shook Feroze's hand, his eyes on me.

"Congratulations!" he said handing Rania her present. She took it with a smile.
"Thank you Zaroon Bhai. It's nice to see you here," she said.
"Thank you for inviting me," Zaroon replied, his eyes still on me. Hussein looked at the ground, his cheeks red.

No one knew where to look. I could tell Rania was ready to kill Hussein and Feroze was having the time of his life. Thankfully, Sameer appeared and offered his congratulations to the couple and they moved on to the other side of the beach, with Rania practically dragging Feroze off.

There was a definite sense of purpose surrounding him. I stared at him, trying to trace out the man I had fallen in love with all those months ago. He seemed to be at peace with himself. 

"Hi," he muttered, his gaze solemn. That simple word felt like a punch in the gut. 

He stepped closer, his hands up in a placating gesture."Not here," I choked out. 

Picking up my dress, I led him through the house and towards the private balcony, waiting for him to join me on the terrace. The cool sea breeze provided a nice contrast to my heated skin. Rubbing my arms, I turned around to see him close the large french doors behind him. He paused and didn't come any closer.

"You look incredible," I let out an incredulous laugh. He frowned. "What?"

"You're the first one to say so" I turned around and faced the sea.

"I don't believe it. You do." I stayed silent. With the crashing waves and my loud heartbeat, I did not trust my voice to carry through. "Am I too late?" Blinking back the tears that seemed to be at the surface nowadays, ready to spill over at any moment. 

 Soft footsteps let me know he was right behind me. 

"I saw my father yesterday," I ran a finger along the railing, encouraging him to continue. "I told him I was going to see you." I stared at my fingers. "He told me you removed his name from the court documents?" 

I raised my head to meet his questioning gaze."I did that right after I gave the police my statement"

"Why?"

"I didn't want you to suffer for something that your father did" he looked down, his hands shaking.

"He also told me you had the, my mother's rapists..." he struggled for words, his voice cracking.

"They deserved to be convicted. With Uncle Azhar's testimony and a little pressure from Feroze, we wrapped that issue right up," I leaned into the railing, watching a myriad of emotions play across his face. "You're free of your father's sins Zaroon," he nodded, clenching the railing tightly.

"And you? Are you free of the demons created by your father?"

"I know how to handle them," I answered.

And I had missed having you by my side throughout it all, I completed in my head.

"Not that I had any doubts. I watched the interview. I believe I was quoted," he said with a slight smile, his eyes radiating his regret.