Part 8.1 - LIKE A GHOST

Homebound Sector, Haven System, Flagship Olympia

"What do you mean you lost her?" Admiral Reeter was outraged, standing in his quarters on a communications link with the Marines he had stationed in Lion's Den. "How hard can a widowed mother be to keep track of?"

The boorish Marine on the left dipped his head. "Our apologies, sir. She lost us in the traffic downtown late last night."

"And you waited until now to tell me?" He lowered his tone, the falsetto of calm a poor cover for his murderous frustration.

The larger Marine on the right hesitated. "We didn't want to wake you, sir."

Reeter let his displeasure be known with a primitive growl that made his subordinates wince. "She cannot have gone far." She was on that pathetic little planet somewhere. "Find her." While she was not entirely necessary for his plans, she would make for a lovely reward.

"Yes, Admiral." The subordinates answered, in sync.

Reeter disconnected the video call with a swipe his hands, his blood boiling. It seemed that old proverb was true. He had best do it himself if he wanted it done right. But he lacked the time to stalk the footsteps of a pretty widow. He had more important things to do – things concerning the fate of worlds.

"You would do well to calm yourself, Charleston," came the comment, "That blood pressure of yours will someday prove dangerous." It did not suit her to have him so worked up over every little issue.

Reeter shut down the holo-projector on his desk with the press of the button, glaring at her pretty face. "And would you rather I stay calm and over think every little detail?" He was not a robot, "I thought the reactions of us humans were of some interest to you."

"They are," she agreed, "but when it comes to partners, I do prefer a rational mind." This little obsession with the widow was going too far. He was beginning to jeopardize their objectives.

"Because rational people are easily swayed by logic." He was not oblivious to the fact this white-haired woman had her own objectives. "But you will not be manipulating me." He was in control here. It was he, not she, who had laid the groundwork for this coup. She was merely assisting his endeavors because it suited her, and that was fine by him.

That easy little smile of hers was quite annoying. Still, he forced himself to play along. "It has been quite some time since I saw you." She had been busy. "Was your infiltration of the Singularity successful?"

"Of course." It had been easy. "I left no traces of my presence, except those I intended to."

Reeter set to serving himself one of the hors d'oeuvres that the Olympia's chef had prepared to his liking. "There and gone like a ghost, hm?" He recalled hearing rumors of the old ship's haunting years ago. No doubt, that incompetent crew believed every word of that impossible little rumor.

"Yet, I came away empty handed," she sharpened her steely gaze, "because someone fired a nuke at the ship before I had finished."

It was Reeter's turn to smile as he swallowed down his fresh caviar, leaving not a speck on the impeccable glass surface of his desk. "You did not get what you wanted?"

"No," she answered, never more disappointed in this man and his antics. "And that means what I promised you is now missing as well."

"Pity," he said uncaringly.