Chapter Twenty

October 4th, 2019

Sheila

    After staying at the elven castle for a week more, we heard of more urgent matters in Maeve's kingdom. After the discussion with my mate, we decided it was best to give our aid to Azai, for he was called back to the gate kingdom, his kingdom which was separating us, the mythical, from the humans and demons. 

    I hear the gate is massive, made of gold bars, and white walls. I only read about it in books. I couldn't sit still on my horse while I thought about it. "Are you okay?" My mate checked up on me. I nodded my head.

    "I just can't wait to see it!" I said with a smile plastered on my face. What a treat this would be.

"It's just a wall with a gate." Zaivinth huffed, walking his horse next to mine. I looked over to him, it was almost humorous to see him on a horse. He looked so awkward to be so dependent on another creature besides himself.

I convinced him to take a horse; I wanted to try riding a horse and Azai gave me the chance. Now I'm riding this noble white steed with a snow mane. I rubbed the side of its neck, humming happily.

"It's not just a gate!" Shouted Azai from the front of the caravan. The caravan consisted of wagons filled with food for our seven-day journey, and knights protecting us. These knights were supplied from Xion. "It's a sacred door that only we can see. Humans and Demons can't see it."

"I would hope so, or Kolgrim would have truly knocked down your door." Vince cut in once more.

"Kolgrim is a demon?" I questioned, I watched my mate nod from the corner of my eye.

"Yes and no," Azai said, trotting around a caravan to get back to us. "He's half-demon, which makes the wall a bit fuzzy, though he is half warlock, which makes it really, really, hard to know what he is up to and where he is." Sighed Azai.

"My mate." Azai started again, "is the only one who can constantly know where he is."

"How?" I asked turning to him, as he and his horse walks alongside my own.

"She—" We all came to a sudden stop, pulling back our reigns. Something was burning, and it was not a friendly campfire. I looked to my mate who was standing on his stirrups, trying to see around us. The smell of ash and something awful burning filled my nose.

Sounds of screams came from the front of the caravan, soon followed from behind. I then noticed what the smell was, burning flesh.

In an instant, my Mate transformed into a dragon. He was about to tuck me under his wing, horse and all, when a fireball flew over my head, hitting my mate directly in the side.

The horse freaked out, sending me flying off. I screamed, for both my mate and myself. I collided with the ground, my shoulder making a disgusting noise. I bellowed in pain. Shock rushed off my spine, my adrenaline kicking in. The shadows that seemed to whisk around me constantly, surrounded my body in a protective cacoon.

To avoid being trampled on, I rolled to the side, my horses' hooves pounded down right by my head. If I was a second slower, I would have had my skull smashed in. I sat up, a hand on my shoulder protectively, I knew instantly that it was dislocated. I stood, my posture slumped, all my energy going into healing my shoulder.

I looked up to my mate to see him looking around, fear in his eyes. "Sheila!" He roared, loud enough that the ground shook. I was right here why couldn't he see me. I reached out to him, he was only a few steps away from me.

Flame got in my way. A flame that was purposefully put here. I whirled around, there was a man, ragged black hair, gleaming red eyes, it was like staring into an endless hell pits.

He was laughing like a mad man, it shook me to my core. "Where has you're pretty little mate ran off too," he teased my mate. No, I couldn't run and leave my mate. Though the flames were starting to burn my back.

"Zaivinth!" I shouted my name, though he didn't even flinch; like I wasn't even there. "Zaivinth!" I shouted again, the flames getting higher.

"Where have you taken her!" He stepped over the flame to my right. I wanted to run to him, but the flame just kept pushing me away.

"Zaivinth!" I cried, I debated if the third-degree burns were worth it.

"Fight me and I'll tell you," another wicked laugh.

"He's lying!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "I'm right here! Right here!" I wanted to cry, I took a step back, preparing myself to run straight into the flame.

Someone grasped my arm, pulling me away from the fire. I turned my head to see an old woman, barely half my size. "Stupid girl, run!" She pulled me into a sprint.

"Wait no! I can't! My mate is back there," I dug in my heels, though there was dark magic that wrapped around my legs to keep them moving. I couldn't stop myself.

I looked back to see the view of my mate be surrounded by orange flame. "No!" I screeched, my vision turning black.

--

"Wake up stupid girl," someone was patting my cheek. My eyes had been caked over by sleep, it was a trail to peel my eyes open. "Zaivinth..." I groaned.

I woke up to an unfamiliar ceiling and an old woman peering over me. Her wrinkles forming a frown. I shot up, everything rushing back to me at once.

"Where is he," I looked around, there was nobody in sight. My breath hitched, I wasn't able to protect my mate. What if he is dead? I need to die. That's the only option I have.

"He was gravely wounded in his battle with Kolgrim, though he resides back in the Elven Kingdom of Leaflumber." Her voice was scratching from old age.

"I must go see if everyone is alright," I went to go peel the covers off of me, though there was an undeniable pain that shot up my shoulder. I gasped aloud and looked to my shoulder, it was all bandaged up. "What?" I gasped, cradling my shoulder with the other hand.

"Stupid girl, you are in no condition to move, sit still and lay down." She said sternly, this is the most I've ever been called 'stupid girl', actually this was the first time I've ever been called that.

"I didn't save you out of that furnace and risk my own neck for nothing." She shook her head as she pushed me gently down, covering my body with the blanket.

"Why did you save me," I croaked out. Adjusting to my head into the pillow, drowsiness hitting me once more.

"I'm going to train you with the ways of the shadow wolves," she rested a hand on my cheek, "but now you must sleep."

--

AND SCENE

ms-p1dYwo

ms-p1dYwo.gif

Who is this old lady??

Who won the fight!

Poor Sheila being separated, what do you think?

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE