15 ♛ The Princess

- Long'Er -

The princess strolled alongside Long'Er, sneaking glances in her way every few minutes. Studying her as if she was the most intriguing object in the world.

"The more I look at you, the more familiar you seem to be," she mused, peering too closely into Long'Er's face. Several seconds later, she snapped her fingers as her face brightened considerably. "I get it now! You're the boy who saved my brother? The Celestial Flower? The said hero in the story?"

Long'Er grimaced. "Not as heroic as you described, but yes."

The princess's eyes shimmered in clear admiration. The sudden notable change in her attitude was astounding. "Your name is Long'Er, isn't it?"

When she nodded, the girl tilted her head in utmost curiosity. "Do you know mine?"

Silence lapsed between them, and all Long'Er could do was to return an awkward side glance.

Disappointed, the princess could only huff in exasperation. "Li Xue. It's Wang Li Xue," she answered. "Did you previously live in a cave? I can't believe you don't know a royalty's name."

In spite of her annoyance, the place that Li Xue took Long'Er to was a bookstore located in the heart of the market. She must have been a regular patron, for she certainly knew her way around the area well.

After making certain that her face was partially hooded with her blue cloak, Li Xue spoke a few words to the store's owner, who nodded quickly and retreated to the room at the back to search for the requested books.

Long'Er picked up a book from a shelf and browsed through it quickly. After reading a couple of lines, her eyes widened in shock and her cheeks flushed at the indecent contents. She snapped the book shut and shoved it back into the shelf wordlessly.

Stunned, she spun around to meet the excited princess, who was humming lightly.

"So when you mentioned that you absolutely have to leave the palace for a life-or-death matter, you meant t-this?" Long'Er stuttered in astonishment. "Your Highness, have you got no shame?"

Li Xue held up her index finger to halt her nagging. "Mind your words, bumpkin. And yes, this is exactly what I came here for. How else would I survive in the palace if I didn't have these romance books to prevent me from dying of boredom? Just like men, we women do have our wild fantasies–"

Long'Er covered her mouth, muffling her words to prevent any passerby from hearing her.

Goddess. Even if she wasn't affected by her own words, Long'Er was experiencing the shame on her behalf. She certainly regretted agreeing to assist the princess on this trip.

What had she landed herself into?

The store owner returned at an impeccable timing, carrying a stack of books in his arms. With a pleased smile, Li Xue happily made her purchase before tossing the nicely wrapped books into Long'Er's arms.

Groaning at the load, Long'Er shifted the books before tucking it under her arm. "Your Highness," she said exasperatedly. "I'm a bodyguard, not your personal maid."

"Hush, boy. If you stop complaining, I'll treat you to something good." The princess sauntered out of the store and walked down the brightly lit streets. Despite the late hours, the stores were still open for business as customers bustled after work hours.

"Why wouldn't you get your maids to purchase these books on your behalf? You wouldn't have to risk your own safety to sneak out."

However, Li Xue shook her head sadly. "My maids are all under my parents' control, not mine. All of my movements would be reported to them and the books would be confiscated before I even knew it. I had to pretend that I was asleep before I could sneak out earlier."

Stopping by a candy stall, she was enticed by the sticks of honey-glazed strawberries that looked extremely appetising. Without second thoughts, she bought a couple of them and passed one to her bodyguard.

Gripping the stick with her fingers, Long'Er examined the candy closely. "What's this?"

Li Xue threw her a look of surprise. "You don't know what this is? I thought this was a snack eaten by the commoners?"

"Well, I don't exactly live around here."

She frowned thoughtfully. "You certainly came from really far. Well then, you should try this. It's really good." Demonstrating how one should eat the candy, she placed a strawberry in her mouth before pulling it off the stick nicely.

Long'Er mirrored her actions; she lifted her mask slightly and nibbled on the strawberry hesitantly. A burst of sweetness spread on her tongue and she closed her eyes to savour it.

"Hm," she remarked. "It's pretty good."

Li Xue grinned. "Right?"

They ambled along the streets, heading in the direction back to the palace in content silence as they finished their snack. There was never much of a silence, not with Li Xue happily blabbering away by her side.

"So, are you ever going to reveal your face to me? Or are you intending to keep it under that mask of yours forever and let me die from curiosity?"

To her curious question, Long'Er grew flustered, tugging on her mask protectively. "I have a burn mark."

"Oh." Li Xue's voice faltered. "It can't be that bad. I promise I won't laugh or mock you. I just wish to have a good look at the benefactor who saved my brother's life."

Thrown off guard by her insistence, Long'Er tried to piece together a response. But before she knew it, shadows filled their path suddenly and obstructed them from getting past.

A group of sinister-looking men materialised, brandishing their weapons. The man standing in the middle greeted them. Displaying a rather arrogant demeanour, one could only assume that he was their leader. 

"My lady," he addressed Li Xue, "if you're bored, we could entertain you better instead of your partner."

She immediately froze in fear, all traces of humour vanished from her face. She let out a small whimper before scurrying and hiding behind her bodyguard for safety. 

Long'Er's hand instinctively went to the hilt of her sword. She handed the bundle of books to the princess and took a defensive stance. Scanning the group of rogues, she counted that she would be going up against eight armed men.

The situation did not look favourable for them.

She whispered softly under her breath, but it was loud enough for the princess to catch her words. "Listen, Your Highness. I'll fend them off as long as I can. Meanwhile, please run back to the palace, alright?"

"What?" Terror laced in the girl's voice. "But what about you?"

Long'Er pressed her lips together darkly. "I'll be right behind you."

Li Xue didn't look the slightest bit convinced, but no one could blame her. Even though Long'Er said those words, a small part of her was afraid that she might end up not making it back alive.

 Even though Long'Er said those words, a small part of her was afraid that she might end up not making it back alive