Epilogue

- Long'Er -

Donned in stunning red bridal gowns, the couple had just exchanged their marriage vows earlier in front of their families and royal subjects. Long'Er stood beside Li Xun – who was now officially her husband – and they raised their wine cups in the air to toast to their family and subordinates.

Everyone was happy for them. There was a rare smile blooming on the Emperor's face and the Empress was beaming at them with glistening eyes. Even Li Xue had a broad grin on her face.

To their utmost surprise, she was the one who had offered her help in the two-month-long preparation of the grand wedding. And for some reason, she was very excited about this marriage.

When she first heard the news about them, she immediately gave them her blessing, but on the condition that Long'Er should only be known as Han Zhi Ruo to everybody else. It was because the girl was still heavily embarrassed about her past attempts at pursuing her when she was a bodyguard.

For now, only four people knew Long'Er's secret — Li Xun, Ling Yao, Li Xue and Minister Han. They all promised to never speak of this and it was safer this way, avoiding any complication in the future. As for the remaining people who worked with Long'Er before, they thought that she had gone home to take care of her frail sister.

It all worked out well.

Minister Han stood at the front of the crowd, alongside his second wife and their son, Han Yi Jun. There were happy tears brimming in his eyes, seeing how his daughter had grown up way too quickly.

As for her half-brother... He was an adorable kid with a toothy grin when they met for the first time. When he found out that he had an older sister, he was overjoyed that he clung to her legs like a baby bear at first sight. Unwilling to let her go.

He would beg her to read to him, take him out for walks and persuade her to prank their father together. Whenever Li Xun appeared to steal her away, the boy would pout and tackle the prince with his tiny body, as if he was protecting his sister.

As for Yi Jun's mother – her step-mother – well, she welcomed Long'Er with open arms. However, there was this giant wall of awkwardness between them that they needed to work on, and that would require some time. At least, she thought, she wasn't being treated unfairly at home. Her grandmother had long passed on and it was futile to hold a grudge against a dead person.

She watched her half-brother squeal in delight along with the other children and played with the flower petals scattered on the floor. A smile bloomed across her face.

The Emperor and Empress rose to their feet then, giving a speech about how grateful they were to everyone for attending this royal wedding. Aside from that, they also took the chance to announce the date of the Royal Coronation Ceremony for the Crown Prince, which would be taking place two weeks later.

Standing right beside her, Li Xun gave her hand a light squeeze. She turned to meet his gaze, and he grinned at her with such a handsome smile that easily took her breath away.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you are looking right now?" he said.

Her lips naturally curved into a sweet smile and she returned the squeeze on his hand. "Too many times that I can't count it on my fingers," she whispered back. "Did I tell you how handsome you are?"

With a broad grin on his face, he was about to say something but frowned when he was interrupted by a loud applause.

"Later," she whispered to his pouting face and their attention returned to the Emperor and Empress. Another toast was made to the newly-wedded couple before the royal banquet commenced. Endless stream of officials approached their table to congratulate them over and over again. Even a drunk-looking General Guo Jie came over to offer Li Xun a cup of wine and started blurting about how the words of wives were the ultimate law.