27 ♛ The Grand Hall

- Long'Er -

The celebration of the Emperor's birthday party was about to begin soon.

In the Grand Hall, Long'Er lingered behind the Crown Prince. Just like every other guard, her eyes swept through the crowd for any suspicious person or activity.

Never before did she meet this many reputable people dressed in luxurious silk robes. Men were exchanging words, laughing boisterously and sipping wine from gold cups. Beautiful, sophisticated women were wearing exquisite jewellery and had done their hair in elaborated hairdos.

Lustful eyes were transfixed on the handsome prince and they couldn't stop displaying their coy smiles of invitation when he happened to look in their direction. Hoping they would somehow catch his attention and hopefully, his interest too.

Long'Er admitted that she, too, was mesmerised by Li Xun. He was clad in a beautiful midnight blue robe with his hair tied up in a sleek, half-bun.

Flanked by Ling Yao and Long'Er, he ambled through the crowd, greeting people as he went. There were the ambassadors from the Khitan and Qizhen empires. Noble families, generals and ministers... They all bowed to him respectfully and exchanged quick greetings.

She watched an older man whom she didn't recognise approached Li Xun.

"Your Highness," he greeted. "Each time I see you, you keep growing more handsome."

Li Xun swivelled around, his face breaking out into a smile at the sight of a burly, fierce man. He grabbed his hand and pulled him into a hug.

"General Guo Jie, you've returned from the borders. It's so good to see you."

The name rang a bell in Long'Er's head. Li Xun did mention this man to her once, that he was his father's right hand man, the First General. Known as the God of War, he led his army into battles and vanquished his foes without mercy. Yet, in front of the prince, he was no longer the intimidating man that everyone feared. He behaved like any loving uncle and doted on Li Xun ever since he was a young child.

General Guo Jie pulled back slightly and grinned. "A bunch of pirates trespassed our waters and it didn't take too long to obliterate them."

He observed Li Xun carefully, running his gaze over his appearance. "Our Majesty's little boy is all grown up now, aren't you? You are what? Twenty-one? Have you found your princess yet?"

The question he asked, too, piqued Long'Er's curiosity. She leaned a little closer, trying to pay close attention to Li Xun's answer.

General Guo Jie gestured to noblewomen around them. Many who were vying for their attention. "Look at these beauties! Do any of them catch your eyes?"

Instead, Li Xun turned his back on the eager noblewomen and released a sigh. "Mother has been pressuring me about it," he admitted. "But to be honest, I've no interest in courting any of them."

General Guo Jie frowned at him. "You don't have to choose one if you can't make up your mind. You can have a few consorts too."

Hearing his suggestion, Long'Er felt her heart fall to the bottom of the pit. In the past, countless emperors had taken several wives and concubines — a custom which she found revolting. She couldn't imagine Li Xun following in their footsteps once he succeeded to the throne.

She would be disappointed, she realised.

And sad.

To her genuine surprise — and happiness — Li Xun shook his head, rejecting the very idea. "No, that wouldn't be fair to my future wife."