28 ♛ The Performance

- Long'Er -

Time was running out.

In the next room, she carried out her plan. After checking that she was alone, she removed her guard uniform and slipped on the beautiful dress which Li Xue had worn earlier. Her hand reached up to rip off her hair tie, letting her hair cascade down her back. She re-arranged her own hair into a half-up-half-down style and dabbed some makeup on her face. For the finishing touch, she rummaged through a box of accessories, exchanging her black mask for a blue veil, which would perfectly match the dress she was wearing.

And now, she was ready.

She studied herself in the mirror, running her hands down the gorgeous dress. It had been a long time since she dressed this feminine, and she almost forgot how it felt like to be a woman.

Her heart was palpitating fast, her hands clammy from nervousness. Because in a few minutes' time, she was going to stand before an audience, including the Emperor and Empress, in this outfit.

And most importantly, the Crown Prince.

Concern clouded her face. She may have often played the zither and pipa from a young age, but she knew she was out of practice ever since she left home.

And yet, her mother's words rang in her head. She had often praised Long'Er, saying that she possessed the finest skills. Years of her practice would not disappear overnight. The songs she used to play would have been committed to her memory. Ingrained into her fingers and soul.

All she needed to do was to believe in herself.

Besides, something else perturbed her more. If she were to enter the Grand Hall in this outfit, there was a likelihood that she might be recognised by the people whom she often worked with.

Especially Li Xun.

What would he do if he found out that she was a girl? Would he detest her for feeding him with lies?

The human heart was confusing. Even though she was terribly afraid of him finding out her real gender, a part of her wanted him to see her as who she truly was. Not as a bodyguard in pretence, but just a normal girl who was capable of enrapturing his heart.

It sounded absurd, right?

She shook her head, tossing aside whatever thoughts she was harbouring. Up till this point of time, she didn't have a choice, not when Li Xue had been bawling her eyes out over her incompetence for the past hour. Long'Er didn't want her to be punished simply because of a stage fright. It would only destroy whatever confidence that was left in her.

Which was why for this performance, Long'Er decided that she would pose as the princess instead.

Giving one last reassuring nod to herself in the mirror, she marched out of the room and went back to where she came from — the Grand Hall. When she arrived, she waited for the dancers to exit. When it was the right time, Chief Eunuch, who knew about her plan, exchanged knowing looks with her and gestured for her to enter.

Once she was inside, her heart almost stopped.

All eyes were on her. The air was thick with anticipation as they watched her walk to the centre of the stage with Li Xue's pipa in her hands. After taking her place, she allowed her fingers to graze the strings, feeling a sense of familiarity hit her with nostalgia.

Her nervousness soon eased into eagerness. She lifted her head and observed the scene before her...

...but her eyes ended up meeting Li Xun's.