Chapter Three - Ring of Fire

"Son." Orvax found Orm preparing himself for the challenge.  "I want you to use this during the duel." He extended his own trident. 

Orm was shocked and hesitated in taking the offered weapon.  "Really? You mean it?"

"Yes." Orvax smiled, something that looked strange on his usually stone-cold face. Eerie, and not quite kind. Needless to say, the King of Atlantis rarely smiled.

"Thank you - I'm honoured." Orm gave the trident a spin.

"I trust that you won't let your - feelings - stand in the way of the challenge?"

His words caught Orm off guard. "I will make you and Atlantis proud."

"Hmm." Orvax turned away. "We'll see."

-------------------------------

Yup, she was in way too deep now.

"How could you be so foolish as to challenge Orm to a duel?" Vulko and Aria found Aurelia in the armory, trying to piece together some amour that would fit her.

"The asshole had it coming. And besides, I may have just solved all our problems. We fight, I win, I get to go home."

"You do realize that this is a fight to the death?"

"Yes..."

"You are a formidable fighter on land, but you are out of your element here, literally. Orm has spent his entire life under water. Training to be a warrior, training to be the best."

"You taught me how to fight, Cobra Kai."

"And, do you remember all that I taught you?"

"I remember everything. And I've got Mom's trident.  A bit of luck, perhaps."

"Perhaps. But Aurelia, this is serious-"

"You think I don't know that?"

"You can't just go insulting and challenging the Crown Prince!"

"Well I did."

"And look where it got you!" Vulko shouted.

Aria placed a hand on Vulko's shoulder before turning to Aurelia.  "Orvax doesn't believe that Orm has it in him to kill you, as Orm is still harbouring feelings for you-"

"Oh, please. That was nothing but a silly, childhood crush. He doesn't really feel that way for me."

The advisors exchanged a wary glance.

-------------------------

"You're not really going to kill Aurelia, are you?" Mera, dressed up for the formal occasion, demanded of Orm, all ready to go in his battle armour and with his father's trident.

"Those are the terms of the challenge."

"Tell me: Do you think Opal and Atlanna would enjoy watching  their children murder each other?"

"I understand your reluctance, Mera."

"Do you? Because you're reluctant yourself."

"I truly do.  I don't want war-"

"Oh don't patronize me! I know you - what you're doing lies in the face of everything your mother taught us when we were children. If she were here-"

"But she's not here now," Orm cut-in defensively. "I wish she was, but she isn't, and nothing can change that. And as for Atlanna - all she taught was treason, and her daughter followed in her footsteps, and look where it has gotten them. Don't follow in her wake as well." He eyed her closely, just as all the court had been doing since she had helped Aurelia before. Princess Y'Mera Xebella Challa of Xebel had been under close supervision ever since.