Chapter Four - A Little Out of Order

Atlanteans really wasted no time.

The next thing she knew, the pointy tip of Orm's weapon was swinging straight at her head and she threw up her hands clutching tightly onto her mother's trident to block the blow - only barely.

Okay, maybe Vulko and Aria had been right...

Orm's movements were swift and fluid as he glided expertly through the water around them.

She was getting her ass kicked. Mere minutes into the challenge she had been nearly strangled by a trident, nearly thrown into the pit of lava (the Ring of Fire), and smashed into a cliff. With every beating she took the cheers from the crowd grew louder.

"We promised Atlanna that we  would protect her daughter," Aria said from the box where she, Vulko, Mera, and Mera's father, King Nereus, watched. The couple exchanged a glance.

"This isn't a challenge," said Vulko. "It's an execution.  Before the whole kingdom." They looked up to the royal box where Orvax sat, looking very much amused by the whole situation.

Orm had knocked Aurelia down again.

"AHHH!" With a great yell, he swung his trident downward towards her. She held up her own trident to block the blow. This happened two more times, then-

SMASH! There was a flash as the trident was sliced clean in half. Aurelia now held the broken pieces, feeling equally shattered inside.

The crowd went wild. Orm cheered as well. "I AM THE ONE, TRUE KING!"

But Aurelia wasn't paying attention to him. All she could focus on was the broken trident in her hands. She even managed to drown out the cheering of the crowd, for lack of a better word.

Then she looked up at the triumphant Orm, and the shock quickly turned to rage.

"AH!" Throwing down the trident - now pieces of trident - Aurelia lunged at him, taking him by surprise. She heard gasps as she attacked the prince - the fight wasn't over yet.

However, Orm was suddenly swept away, swept up in a whirlpool-turned air-pocket that sent him smashing to the rocks below. Pieces of his armour flew off and he rolled over, choking up a mouthful of water. The whirlpool came splashing down on him, revealing one of the high-tech Atlantean ships.

It was Mera driving - Aurelia had only seen hydrokinesis like that from the Princess of Xebel. "What, are you waiting for an invitation? Get in!"

She was about to do just that, but remembered. "Mom's trident!"

"Aurelia-" Guards had already begun firing upon Mera. Wow, the Atlanteans really didn't hesitate, and they moved quickly.

"Go!" She waved the red-head on. "I'll catch up!"

Mera didn't question it, and took off, leaving a trail of bubbles in her wake.

Aurelia snatched up the pieces of trident before fleeing the Ring, not before hearing Orm yell, "AURELIA!"

She finally caught up with Mera, just in time. "Okay, so what's the plan?"

"The plan was to retrieve Atlan's trident then challenge Orm!"

"Okay, so we're doing thing's a little out of order. Shit happens. Ha, did you see him fall on his ass!"

"I almost did the same to you! What were you thinking directly attacking him without a weapon? And going back for it?" Mera chided.

"Hey, it's all I have left of her, okay. I wasn't about to leave it." The ship was jerked by a shot from behind them. "We've got a bogey on our six!"