13. Bombshell

13. Bombshell

Before I knew it, the day had arrived.

Later tonight, I'd be on live TV. Tomorrow...the final event began: the 107th annual Hunger Games. It was so close...

Feeling groggy, a noise startled me. I kept my eyes closed but ears sharp. Something was in my room. My blinds were pulled up. Somebody was in my room. Damn.

I yawned, sitting up. I opened my goopy eyes to nearly jump into the headboard, screaming. Standing in my bedroom, transforming it into a work station, was my prep team. I grabbed my heart, trying to slow it.

Maggie was the first to notice me.

"You're up!" she squealed. Her curls were pulled into a high ponytail this morning. "Good, it's about time."

"How in the hell did you get in here?" I yawned.

"What kind of a question is that?" She plopped herself on my bed. "Demi ordered us to come here early to make you over."

"It's going to take that long?" I hit my head against the headboard. How could getting me made over for my interview take longer than being made over for the opening ceremonies? Demi must really want me to look stunning.

"Oh, I don't think so. She just wanted us here early."

"Are you starting on me now?" I eyed Remi and Jackie talking, heads together.

"No, silly." Maggie giggled. "You have to eat first. You better get food soon; the Avoxes are going to take it away any time."

I lurched out of bed, out the door, down the hall, and into the kitchen. Sienna looked already dressed up for later tonight. Like her hair, her long, halter-top dress was rainbow colored. It seemed everybody around me—except for Ross and Bane—had a certain color, or colors, they seemed to love to wear. I didn't see Ross anywhere, so I suspected he was out. Bane was finishing eating while I scampered over to grab whatever was left.

"You finally got up," Sienna noted.

"How late did I sleep in?" I whimpered.

"It's almost noon."

That explained why my prep team was in my room. It made me wonder just how long they had been in there, laying out what was necessary while I was sleeping.

Actually, I didn't want to think about it.

I took my time in eating. Maggie flitted out of the hall, complaining that I wasn't finished eating yet.

"Why didn't you guys wake me up earlier?" I asked her. "You couldn't have just got here."

"You're right; we've been here since ten."

"Two hours?"

"We didn't want to wake you. You looked like you were out cold," she said thoughtfully. "Besides, Jackie prefers dealing with people when they have a lot of beauty sleep. She doesn't get frustrated as much when they're well rested."

"I bet Regina will sick my prep team on me," Bane groaned. "I thought the tributes got made up in another room?"

"No way," Maggie told him. "No point. We make you up in those rooms only because it's the opening ceremonies."

The moment I let my plate hit the counter, Maggie grabbed my wrist and dragged me back into my bedroom, locking the door. Remi suggested I bathed, so I was thrust into the shower, making sure to wash my hair thoroughly. Even now, over a week later, I saw a few flakes of glitter fly to the floor. I pulled on a fluffy, red robe, and Remi dealt with me in the bathroom. He had me sit on the toilet seat while he combed through my hair.