20: The Need for Nolan

Dessert, my favorite food group, the brownies, cakes, all the funky ways you can introduce chocolate. Platters after platters, filled with cookie assortments, brownie stacks, and cakes that go as high as the diamond chandelier.

This wasn't just your average stop at the bakery, this was the whole frickin bakery. My eyes dazed as I felt overwhelmed by all the new colors and sweets that were ready to dive into my stomach.

"You look dazed", I didn't even notice Nolan standing there, watching me fantasize about sweets. I nervously laughed, waiting for him to either stop staring or for me to step on his expensive shoes.

"I could make you feel that way, every night", he whispered into my ear leaving me crippling inside. He didn't have a right to say that to mess with my love for cake, not everything's about him. We may be married by law, but never for love. I couldn't stand him.

"That's why I have my desserts, not everything's about you Clementé", it was true, he seemed like the world revolved around him. Look around, there are dying people and he spends money on cars, he drives once a year. I was mad at him for no reason, this is my way of pushing him away. I find every issue about that person until it becomes too much and I'm gone for good.

"Could say the same for you, Mrs. Clementé", he whispered in my ear, leaving behind his effect on me.  I rolled my eyes at his teasing attitude. He disappeared behind a closed door as I explored the trays and platters.

"Hey, I was looking for you", Avery nudged my shoulder as I nudged her back and wiped my mouth to make sure there were no brownie crumbs.

"Enjoying your first family and way-extended brunch?", Avery questioned as I couldn't be more pleased with my answer truthfully, If I can leave this please without making eye contact with my so-called parents, then it would be a pretty good brunch. I wanted to say I felt, uncomfortable but then my eyes went to the window. Nolan was playing soccer with some of the little boys, they all looked up to him as he coached them into scoring their next shot. Guys, who play with kids just melt my heart. That's when my answer changed.

"it's been pretty good, especially him he's been promising", Could I be the love he had described of his parents, could I give him a love that is everlasting.

"Tell me all about it, oh before I forget your parents wanted to talk to you, I think they said they'd be waiting in the ballroom sounded serious", her words tightened my throat. Alone, is all I could possibly think. I would be alone, with the people who taunted, abused and beat the shit out of me. They had the decency to show up, all this was to them was a business deal. I thanked her and rushed to try to leave, I went through the kitchen doors trying to get outside. I searched for him, he was in the yard and I felt extremely relieved as I saw his hands fan through his hair.

"Nolan", I yelled as he began running over to me and I felt strong hard, calloused hands graze my shoulders, now so lightly. I knew I disobeyed, but I had hoped they didn't know Avery told me.

Hard, calloused hands rested on my shoulders, I swiveled around to see who was trying to keep my captive and to my surprise, there was my one and only so-called parents.

"You should've come to the ballroom", Daniel whispered as a smile faked its way onto his undeserving face. Nolan ran over quickly as he could and I hoped he would come quicker.

"We should've just taken her earlier", Melissa whispered and I knew I had just saved myself from another traumatic experience. They were afraid of Nolan and his family, I knew they were.

Nolan made it and hugged me sweating. He kissed my cheek as I could tell Melissa made eyes at me, I knew I couldn't run from them forever.

"How was the dessert? Did you guys enjoy it?", I handed him a water bottle and he drank it waiting for their response.

"Yes it was delicious, thank you, well we must really be going by now, it was nice talking with you, goodbye", Daniel said as he dragged Melissa away and I rested my body against Nolan's loving that safe feeling he gave me.

I knew he couldn't protect me from Melissa and Daniel forever, but for right now it would give me serenity. Eventually as they brought up a threat against Melody I would go back, considering she was my life.

My mom had been pregnant 10 years ago and after my mom died Daniel split us up and sent her to foster care, luckily he didn't have the decency to keep her locked in a basement. He used her as a punishment for me. I followed his loads of rules for her, and I was this close to getting her back home, to me. I love Melody dearly and I need to find her, I just need to figure out how. He keeps tabs on her every move he pawns me with updates of her life.

I shut my mouth, and my eyes just imagining the time I see Melody, her warm soft arms hugging me and that feeling that I never would let go. Her ladybug barrette she could never let go of, I had hoped she still wore it. Daniel showed me pictures of her at first when I didn't believe him and from those pictures I learned that there was someone running around the world that was my sister with no home.

Nolan hugged me tightly and the little boys called him back. I let him go thanking him for the hug I desperately needed. He had saved me and he didn't even know it. I was alone and I finally felt the pain.