Chapter 20

Afaaf

Afaaf

The birds were chirping, singing among themselves. Flying over the sky to reach their warm homes before the night would fall.

On Jahan's advice, I stood a little away from the railing this time, looking at the main city down the valley from afar. It was such a blessing to have so much to see from up here. If Shaya was here, she would have been so happy.

Shaya was always a person who loved discovery, nature, history. She wasn't someone to stay at one place for five years and study off straight. Fate had unlucky plans for her, she couldn't find the courage to say no to our father. When Abba proposed for her to be a doctor, it had become her final decision. Her adventurous nature had died that day.

I was different from Shaya. Always trying to find only the amount of respect and love we deserved, yet were deprived.

" You are here, Dadi Gul Jan had been looking for you."

The voice had me turning. Seeing Zaryaab stand on the steps, his eyes looking at me. I lowered my head, my expressions becoming blank as I walked past him. Leaving him stand there alone.

Knocking on the door of Dadi Gul Jan's door, I waited for her to allow me entrance.

" Come on in" I walked inside the large room seeing Khan Dada stand before the dressing table fixing his warm pashtun cap.

" You look fine, Khan Sahib. Are you sure that you are going to meet your old friends?" Dadi Gul Jan mocked with a sliver of humour and tease in her voice. 

Khan Dada laughed nervously, his face wrinkling as he smiled at me.

" You deal with her now." He whispered, joking as he took his cane and walked out. A thick warm shawl drapped over his shoulders.

" Yes, you were asking of me-" 

The woman turned to me, sitting on the bed, she opened the drawer and pulled out a wedding invitation card. Her hand forwarding it towards me.

" Who's it from?" I asked reading the unknown names.

Hazel eyes settled on me as she leaned against the headboard, making me reach towards her side and pull the comforter over her legs.

" It's of Zaryaab's cousin's invitation card. They came to the Valima as well, insisting that we attend their don't wedding as well."

I nodded silently, sitting before her.

" Now your Khan Dada is gone to his friends and very honestly I am in no mood to bear that old woman, God, she speaks nonstop about rubbish." Dadi Gul Jan made a bad face and I giggled. Who could be more honest than my Dadi Gul Jan.

" So you want me to attend the wedding." I finished do her. Seeing her grin at me.

" Yes, I've asked Zaryaab also. You two go and have fun." My smile dropped and I traced the printed bedsheets. Dadi Gul Jan was oblivious to the recent events. She was even unaware of how simply my expressions had changed.