20

It's dead quiet in the car.

Athena hasn't said anything since she got inside. I guess her nerves are kinda fucked up right now. Not only that but here she is — in my car. I'm taking her home.

I thought this couldn't get any worse between us and it definitely did. The line is getting blurrier and blurrier. At this point, I'm wondering if we can even stop it. Can we really just go back to being just teacher and student? Why am I even thinking about this? I should be making sure she's okay. How selfish of me.

"Are you ... okay?" I asked gently.

Her voice was small and scared. It broke my heart, "I... Yeah, I guess. I'm sorry I didn't help you. I just didn't know what to do."

I disagreed, "You did the right thing."

"How did you even know?"

"That it was fake? The street lights helped me see glossy paint finish," I answered. "The barrel was shaped horribly wrong on top of that."

"It's a blessing you were with me ... I didn't have anything expensive on me, but still ..."

I didn't say anything else. I don't know what to say and I'm not very good at calming people down. The first time I was ever caught in a situation like this I didn't have anyone to help me. I was completely alone.

But enough experiences with something life-threatening like this, I've learned to scope out any openings and capitalize on hesitations that fear wouldn't normally let you do.

She spoke, "Your calmness lets me know you're either really good under pressure or you've been through a lot ..."

"It's both," I answered dryly. "That's why I'm trying to graduate and get out of here."

She didn't say anything else afterward. The rest of the car ride was completely quiet with the occasional directions spoken by Athena.

I parked and shut the car off. Athena got out. I got out too but stood by my door to watch her walk into her house. It would be weird of me to assume that I'm even invited inside.

She turned to look at me, "Are you leaving?"

"Um, yeah, I mean ... are you okay? Do you need help?" I responded, a little confused.

"No, it's okay," She rejected. "Have a good night."

I spoke quickly, "I'll stay — if you need me too."

She stopped and looked at me. She looked like she was silently fighting with herself.

Trust me, I know the feeling.

She shook her head again, "We shouldn't be doing this."

"Probably too late for that, don't you think?"

She smiled, "Probably ..."

I closed my door and locked the car. I walked around the hood, keeping some distance between us, "I won't stay for long. You fall asleep fast anyway."

She rolled her eyes, "Fine. You can have some food with me. Take it as my thank you."

I smiled as I stepped onto the sidewalk and accompanied her to her front door, "Food is a very thoughtful thank you. I'm actually starving."

She chuckled, unlocking her front door, "I bet you are."

We got inside. She locked the door behind me. I scoped out the place, noticing the coffee table is a mess of papers. There are several blankets on the couch too. Looks like someone has been crashing in the living room.