Chapter 6

Jennie didn't hear from Lisa the next day.

At work on Monday, Jennie kept sneaking glances, over her shoulder, at the door. It was nearing lunch time and she was hoping Lisa would stop by.

"You know, you could at least try and be less obvious," Jackson whispered, wheeling his chair over to Jennie's desk. Jennie, who was glancing at the door again, jumped, spinning back around in her chair. She gave Jackson an innocent look, pretending to not know what he was talking about.

"Oh come on Jennie, you haven't taken your eyes off the door since we opened," he said, rolling his eyes. "You wouldn't happen to be waiting for a certain CEO to stop by, would you?" he asked innocently.

'How do you know about Lisa?' she signed back as her cheeks turned pink.

Jackson laughed, "Aside from the fact that she's been in here every couple of days for the past three weeks? Rosé told me." Jennie sighed, of course Rosé would have mentioned it, especially because Jackson worked at the library too.

'Jackson, have you been gossiping with my sister again' Jennie signed back, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, I mean, I wouldn't call it gossiping, but she did mention Lisa at the bar the other night and we might have... yeah, we were gossiping," Jackson rambled, a sheepish smile on his face. Jennie rolled her eyes, smiling at him to show that she didn't mind.

Jackson's eyebrows shot up, looking at something behind Jennie. "Incoming," he said, rolling his chair back over to his desk. Jennie gave Jackson a puzzled look, before spinning her chair around to see Lisa walking in.

"Jennie, hi!" Lisa said quietly, not wanting to disturb the other people in the library. She dumped some of the books she was carrying into the return slot before making her way over to the front counter.

"So, I thought I'd come and see you instead of texting you about drinks," Lisa said, leaning forward on the counter. She was wearing a dress that showed off her collarbones, and other assets. Jennie tried not to look down, feeling her cheeks turn pink as she smiled at Lisa. She could see Jackson staring at them both from out of the corner of her eye.

'I'm free any night this week, what day's good for you?' Jennie wrote down on a spare sheet of paper. Lisa tilted her head, looking up at the ceiling as she thought. Jennie stared at the white expanse of Lisa's throat, her gaze moving upwards to the sharp line of her jaw, and then further up to Lisa's lips that were pressed together. Jennie quickly looked down at the piece of paper in her hands, trying to hide her flushed face.

"How does Friday night sound to you?" Lisa asked, oblivious to Jennie's straying thoughts. Jennie nodded, writing down a reply.

'Sounds great, do you have anywhere in mind?'

"There's a bar on thirty-first street I've been dying to check out, I've heard it's really good," Lisa suggested, waiting for Jennie's reply. Jennie nodded again, smiling at Lisa.

"Perfect," Lisa grinned at Jennie, "I'm just going to go and find some new books, any suggestions?"

Jennie held up the paper again, with Harry Potter scrawled underneath her last reply. Lisa quietly laughed, "Harry Potter? Aren't they for children?"

Jennie gave Lisa a look of mock outrage, quickly writing down another reply.

'Harry Potter is for everyone! I can't believe you haven't read them before'

Lisa held her hands up in a defensive gesture, "Okay, okay, Harry Potter it is, I'll be back in a second." Jennie watched her wander off in search of the books. The sound of someone clearing their throat made Jennie jump.

She turned to look at Jackson. "Harry Potter. Really?" he whispered to Jennie. She shrugged her shoulders, her face flushing. "Oh man, you've got it bad," Jackson laughed, making Jennie's face turn even redder. She pretended to ignore him.

Lisa walked back over with the first three Harry Potter books held close to her chest. "Here we go, three Harry Potter books," Lisa announced as she planted the books down on the counter, "and I'd like to check out these ASL books again," she said, sliding forward the two books she hadn't returned.

After Jennie scanned all of the books they said their goodbyes, both hoping Friday came around quickly.

-----

That night, Rosé invited Jennie over to her apartment for Chinese food with her and Jisoo. Jennie picked up the food on the way and made her way over to Rosé's place.

They were halfway through their food, with Jennie hogging the pot stickers, when her phone vibrated. She picked it up, finding a text from Lisa.

I was wrong and I can't believe I've lived my whole life without reading these books.

Jennie smiled down at her screen, her phone buzzing again as another message came through.

Also the bar on 31st is called The Pen, shall we meet there at 7?

Jennie text back her approval, looking back up as she put her phone back down. Rosé and Jisoo both had their chopsticks raised halfway to their mouths, with identical raised eyebrows.

"What's got you all flustered, Kim?" Jisoo asked, a sly grin spreading across her face, "or should I say who?" Jennie turned bright red, picking up another pot sticker so she could keep her hands busy.

'Just making plans to hang out with a friend' she signed back after she finished eating.

"A friend huh?" Rosé questioned, "It's clearly not Jackson, and Cal and Irene aren't in town, so what other friend is this?" Jennie let out a deep sigh, clearly they knew she was messaging Lisa.

'Lisa and I are going for drinks on Friday, after work' Jennie informed them, slowly signing so Jisoo could keep up.

"Drinks?" Rosé echoed.

"You do realise that's a date right?" Jisoo chimed in.

Jennie protested, gesturing widely with her hands.

'It's not a date, it's just, I don't know, it's just drinks' Jennie signed back, feeling her cheeks turn pink as she said it. Rosé and Jisoo dropped the topic, not wanting to embarrass Jennie.

"You do like her though right? I'm just checking," Jisoo asked curiously. Jennie nodded in reply.

"Like as in like like," Rosé elaborated. Jennie rolled her eyes at them both.

'Yes as in like like, but I think she needs a friend right now more than anything else' Jennie signed back, thinking about how Lisa's face always lit up when she was around Jennie.

Jennie knew that she would do anything to keep making Lisa smile.