Chapter 26

It was the middle of summer, two years to the day that Lisa first saw Jennie.

Not the first day they met, but the first time Lisa had walked into the library and saw Jennie stacking books between the shelves. Jennie didn't know the significance of this day; she was oblivious as she sang loudly along with the radio as she drove.

Surprisingly she was a good singer, and Lisa smiled as she watched her behind the wheel. A few months ago Jennie had got her license, finally overcoming the final barrier in her fear of cars.

The sun beat down on them as they left the city behind them. It was the middle of the day, and they had a long way to go.

"You're staring again," Jennie stated, turning to face Lisa. Her glasses covered her eyes but Lisa knew they would be crinkling at the corners.

"I like staring at you," Lisa told her, lifting one of Jennie's hands off the steering wheel and placing a kiss to the back of it. Jennie rolled her eyes, smiling widely as she concentrated on the road.

"So when are you going to tell me where we're going?" Jennie asked, raising an eyebrow and turning her head slightly in Lisa's direction.

"I'll tell you when we get there," Lisa smirked, taking in Jennie's frustrated expression.

It was a surprise, something she had planned for Jennie because she knew she would enjoy it, even if Lisa wouldn't.

-----

It took them hours.

They drove through the desert, basking in the warmth of the sun as they chatted and Lisa listened to Jennie sing whenever a song she liked came on.

Everything was right in the world, and neither of them wanted to be anywhere else. It was hard to imagine that two years ago, Lisa was scared of getting attached, of loving someone, and Jennie couldn't talk and hadn't been able to overcome the trauma of her childhood. It seemed as if Lisa had been made to love Jennie, to shower her with love and affection, and these days Jennie would talk nonstop, filling every silence with her bubbly chatter. Lisa could hardly remember a life without Jennie's voice in it.

By the time they got there Lisa suspected that she was three shades whiter, already dreading her decision. She was so scared, and maybe a little bit nervous as they pulled over where Lisa indicated. They got out, stretching their legs after sat in the car for so long.

"Now what?" Jennie asked, gazing around at the featureless landscape. There were some gigantic rocks a hundred yards away, and a lot of sand, but besides that there was nothing.

"This way," Lisa said, holding her hand out for Jennie to take.

The sun shone brightly on the horizon as Lisa led them towards the rocks; sunset was almost at hand. Out here it would be spectacular, nothing to interrupt the sight. None of the big city lights to hide the stars once night had fallen.

The rocks grew larger the closer they got, and with each step Lisa grew more nervous. She grasped tightly at Jennie's hand, seeking comfort and reassurance. Jennie would never let anything bad happen to her.

Up close the rocks were easily a hundred feet tall, casting giant shadows, which the welcomed after the blistering heat of the sun. Still, Lisa led them forwards, bringing them out the other side of the rocks.